Participate in the June 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2023 Challenge! You Choose: $1,745 OR $2,900 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@mark1256 – Feel and groove are spot on! I’d say you have it down! Well done, Mark! 🙂

mark1256
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. It’s a fun one.

gi_gi_
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I chose to work on harmonizing chords. This is something very practical for me and what I’m always wanting to learn…..How to free myself of just copying a song and implementing the CAGED Method. This was fun. Thanks Andrew.

smokealot
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Spontaneous recording:

Hope to get the blues lesson down in time.

lisadmh
    Participant

I’m a premium member.

It’s an easy song, but getting the rubato right is hard. I tried. What do you think?

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

So many lovely performances even so far!

@gi_gi_
    , I loved your video and performance so much! So lovely. I also love your outfit a lot. 😅

About what everyone was saying with multiple takes when recording… So true.

These are some things that have been helping me with that and with my performance anxiety:

* If I mess up, I don’t stop recording, but just start over (if I have to) while keeping the recording going. Then I crop the video later.

* I try to learn the song so well that I don’t have to think about it, so I can focus on pushing passed the anxiety. That takes a long time, though. But the songs I know best are the ones I’m the most comfortable recording.

* I try to focus on the emotion I feel when playing a song. That may be the thing that’s been helping me the most. And trying to channel the performance anxiety into the emotion I feel behind the music, like the anxiety (and frustration at times) is “powering” my playing. That sounds crazy 😅 but that helps me redirect the fear into something useful and positive.

* I accept that the first few (or 40) takes will likely not be shareable, and that’s okay. I also tell myself that it’s okay if I’m having anxiety symptoms, that they will pass, and if they don’t I can try again later. And it’s okay if there are mistakes. Basically, anything to take the “pressure” off a bit.

It really, really helps that Rock Class is full of people who are not only non-judgmental, but also incredibly kind, helpful, and sympathetic. It’s a safe space to share. And a lot of people share these struggles, even some of the instructors.

I hope this isn’t too much, I just thought this might be helpful. Thank ye! 😊

ldarrow
    Participant

I am a premium member
    Not much time for me this month. I have chosen the 009 mini lesson one fingered etude. What I love about this etude is how well it lends itself to individual feel and interpretation. Some people going with a faster pace that is more upbeat, some going more moderate and a display of steady rhythm. For me, what seemed natural was slow with some rubato and sound variation and note accents. To me it is a haunting kind of tune. Anyway, I hope I accomplished that in the limited time I had to devote to it.

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB Thanks ☺️ That was harder than it seemed 😂

suekulele
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Harmonizing Chords. I really like this mini lesson because I’m trying to learn more chords up the fret board and knowing the CAGED method as second nature is a big challenge. This practical application of it is helpful.

jgillard
    Participant

I am a premium member

This is a catchy strumming tune. Enjoy! 🙂

misterbones
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

What a lucky coincidence this month’s theme is mini lessons. As I will be out on vacation travelling for pretty much the rest of the month, I would not have had time to tackle another one from the Ascent category, but the Rhythmic Blues mini lesson was just right for me this month. Here you go:

lyndallk
    Participant

I’m a premium member
    Here’s my submission of Rhythmic Blues – I decided to do it a little slower! Thanks Andrew – a great mini lesson

jgillard
    Participant

Here is one finger etude. Another short catchy little song. Enjoy!

brettboy
    Participant

[I am a premium member]

Aloha fellow Uke Lovers 🙂
    I took on Rhythmic Blues this month.
    Big Thanks to Andrew and Matt for another awesome lesson 🙂
    Sincerely, Brett

annemarie
    Participant

Dynamics

I’m a Premium

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.