Percussion Style lesson?

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Percussion Style lesson?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sir_anzalot
    Participant

Hi Guys 🙂

I am currently trying to get some traction using more percussive elements in my playing but it’s really hard without proper technique. I found some videos on youtube which were quite helpful, but only for the strumming part – we got some of these here as well. I’d love to get some percussion into fingerpicking though.

What really intruiges me is a technique I’ve seen in one of Sungha Jungs (bear with me 😉 ) videos. Also in some Guitar related ones but he uses it really nicely on the Uke

Starting at 1:12 he starts doing Picking and Percussion (with some flick of his index finger like a mini chuck I think?) at the same time.

What I can’t figure out is how he does that while keeping the rest of the picked Notes ringing. I know it’s probably a longshot trying to emulate his technique 1:1 but I’d like to get some insights into what he’s doing in general here. Could we maybe get a (live / mini) lesson on that with a small training piece? I at least would be over the moon 🙂

Cheers
    Andy

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by sir_anzalot.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Andy, looks like the video is blocked in the US, can you share another similar one?

robinboyd
    Participant

Oh yeah. The Eagles block everything!

I can’t help with technique. I observed the same things as you, but I don’t have any insight about how to achieve it.

sir_anzalot
    Participant

Oh, I did not realize that @Andrew !
    I’ll look around a bit if I can find something similar. One question though: Are all of his Videos blocked in the US? :O Or is it just about the eagles track as Robin indicated?

EDIT:
    Was easier to find another example of his than I thought. He uses the same technique from 0:15 onward in this one. Just to clarify: He uses more percussion elements this time around but I am still mostly interested in incorporating that flicking motion. It was a bit cleaner to identify in the other one but it still works I think.

Hope it’ll work this time.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by sir_anzalot.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by sir_anzalot.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s kinda like a drum beat – he’s doing it over a 2 bar pattern, chucking on 2 and 4 in bar 1, and beat 2 in bar 2, then & of 3 and beat 4 is the percussive tap on the body. Sounds cool!

lisadmh
    Participant

That sounds really cool! Thanks for sharing.

There are quite a few songs on here with percussion bits in them. In the song search bar, use the term percussive. You’ll find some fun ones!

sir_anzalot
    Participant

Thank you @Andrew but that wasn’t really the breakdown I was hoping for. I think I might have thrown the wrong video out there with the Gotye song because he indeed does that whole drum beat thing in that one, rather than this index chuck alone. He does that flicking thing in most of his uke videos here and there, but the Hotel California Cover is by far the one where he utilizes it the most for the beat during picking.

What I don’t get is how he does it. From what I understand, a chuck means muting the strings, even if ever so shortly. But to me it sounds like at least some of the notes keep ringing on through it. Or does he just start picking so fast again after unmuting that it gives of the impression? I’d really like to learn that because it seems like a good “building block” technique to me, instead of going for the whole drumset at once.

@lisadmh
    I know and I enjoy listening to them a lot – learning the techniques behind them is a whole other thing though 😉

Andrew
    Keymaster

It looks like a similar chuck to what I do, but he targets the top strings and lets the bottom ring. Unfortunately, I can’t advise further as we only offer support for RC101 related material.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.