Piano Music Sheet to Ukelele Tabs

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Piano Music Sheet to Ukelele Tabs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

So I seriously want to learn a song and I can’t find a Ukulele specific tab. The tutorials and tabs i found are just for strumming. i want to fingerpick the song.

I do found a music sheet for the song, “A Million Dreams” from The Greatest Showman soundtrack and it’s for piano. Is there a technique on how to convert that to ukulele? Do I just simply follow the notes and chords? Anyone tried it? Also, how do I know when to use the 4th string if I just follow the notes. since 4th string notes can be played on the 2nd string.

kanae926
    Participant

Hey, @toastedbrains…One of RC101’s members, @awiealissa, has a tutorial of that song on YouTube with some fingerpicking. Have you tried it?

Here’s a different one I found:

If you’re truly looking for a chord melody arrangement (less strumming, more fingerpicking), then you might have to create your own. Andrew has a course on How to Write a Song on the Ukulele that goes into depth about writing chord melody songs. I don’t know if you’re a premium member to be able to access it, but maybe give that a shot?

Thanks kanae, i saw those and i don’t like strumming. I want to fingerpick the whole song. Yeah, i know i have to make my own but i found a piano music sheet so my question was how to convert that to ukulele tabs if at all possible. I also saw a guitar fingerpicking for the song but not sure if it has tabs. It might be easier to convert guutar tabs to ukulele than from piano?

I saw the book actually but not sure if it answered my other question of when to play the 4th strinf instead of the second.

kanae926
    Participant

That sounds like something Andrew will be able to answer.

I have a tendency to think that it’s up to the person writing the arrangement whether you choose to use the G string or not. It may come down to whatever is easiest/comfortable to play in relative closeness to the other notes/strings or picking pattern.

As a basis of comparison, I have seen the C scale shown to be played on strings 2-4 as a simple walk up the scale, but I have seen another person introduce playing the G on the open 4th string rather than on the third fret of the 2nd string. To me, that breaks up the flow by going from string 2 back to 4 for one note only to continue playing the scale back on string 1, but maybe that person had a reason for playing it that way. Either way, the end result is the same (it was still a G, just a different string). I found it awkward, but maybe that person didn’t.

I have also heard people saying it may be the same note (same octave), but playing it on different strings have a different “color.” My ear isn’t attuned to hearing that minute difference.

Actually I just forgot the name but if i remember it right, one of the songs here has me playing the note “So” 3 times consecutively but i have to play the second So in the 4th string. So it starts with 2nd string So then 4th strng So then back to 2nd string So.

That’s why curious as to when t choose what string to use. I am assuming it has something to do with the chord played on the current bar like if it is touching the 4th string then use it.

kanae926
    Participant

Maybe Day Dreaming? The 4th string is used for some of the notes as opposed to what’s also played on string 2 (bars 5,6 and 9-11).

🤷🏻‍♀️

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hmm, might be this song: https://rockclass101.com/our-first-song/

Depends on lots of things. That tune plays a G note on 4 and 2, because we get different timbre from open strings vs fretted.

Melody on string 2 or 4 could also depend on context of harmony in chord or passage of melody/chords before and after. It’s a hard ? to answer, but it becomes more “clear” which choice is correct the longer you’ve been playing/arranging or studying how others arrange.

Thanks Andrew! seems like I need to play and study more. 🙂

oh, and the piece I remembered was Fingerpicking Etude 13. the second bar.

kayleighb

There is a greatest showman book for the ukelele (I have it). Whilst the songs are notated it does have the chords written above. You could play around with the fingerpicking within the chords and work it out by ear?

I REALLY want Evan’s arrangement of This is Me. Hint hint Andrew- future lesson perhaps?

Thanks Kayleigh. Can that be bought on amazon?

kayleighb

@toastedbrains it sure is! At least in the UK…

The Greatest Showman for Ukulele https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1540013863/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZAP5BbJ1G9VJS

Thanks!

recdog
    Participant

Start by learning to play the melody in the key of maybe F, C, G, A. Then break that down to understand what notes of the scale (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1) that melody uses. There are bound to be some transitions in the melody where you can determine which chord works that contain that melody note. Key of C (C, Dm, Em, G(7), Am, Bdim.) Sounds complicated but as you get going it starts to work. Key of C you will use the I, IV, V(7) chords quite a bit (C, F, G(7)). I still learning to get better at it but have had some good success.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.