Pineapple vs regular shape

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Pineapple vs regular shape

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    b_ukes_101

Hello rockclass101!

I have been doing some browsing on the internet and found myself on the kanilea website. As of right now I can’t afford a kanilea but I’m starting my own dog walking business so I can. But my question is, what’s the difference between a pineapple shaped uke and a regular. I did some research and found out that the pineapple was the shape Hawaiians first made their ukes in. Are there any sound benefits or changes in a pineapple vs a regular? Thanks for your answers!

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi @b_ukes_101. I have 2 pineapples, 1 boat paddle, 2 regular-shape ukes, and a guitalele – In other words, too many. I need to get rid of some.

Anyway, there is a slight difference in sound between pineapples and regular ukes, but it’s not a huge difference. You get a much bigger difference from different woods or different manufacturers, etc. They are also slightly harder to hold because there is less space at the bottom to hold it against your body. The main reason for getting one would just be because you like the look of it.

b_ukes_101

What is the sound difference? Is it a sweeter tone, is it louder, is it mellower (if that’s a word), would a p1 kanilea be batter than a k1?

robinboyd
    Participant

It’s very slight and very subtle. The only real way to compare is to listen to the equivalent size, wood, and manufacturer in both pineapple and standard shapes. It has been many years since I have done this, and when I did, I didn’t really have the words to describe what I was hearing. I suppose the pineapple is a slightly fuller tone, but it’s so slight that it’s barely discernible.

In my opinion, neither uke is better. It just comes down to preference. Either uke is better than anything that I own.

lesalulu

I recently purchased a Pono solid mango pineapple uke. I agree with the others, I think much of its beautiful sound is attributed to the wood and the quality of the build of the uke. I bought a pineapple shape mostly for aesthetic purposes. Pono do the same uke in the standard shape, I just wanted something a little different.
    It has a deeper body than my laminate but I use them both with steps so don’t really struggle with holding the pineapple. I’m very happy with my choice. I am sure a Kanilea pineapple would not disappoint.

b_ukes_101

Thanks all! I think I’m going to save up for the kpa (or maybe ask for it for Christmas). I don’t think I’m quite good enough for a fancy all wood uke yet but after just 4 or 5 months of me being on rock class101 I can already see a HUUUUUUGE difference in my skill! I can wait to keep progressing with this awesome website!

robinboyd
    Participant

A solid wood ukulele doesn’t have to cost as much as a Kanilea. All except one of my ukes is all solid wood, but even the most expensive one is nowhere near the cost of a Kanilea. You can always get something like this as an itermediate step.

http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.