Playing Low G

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    joconway

Hi there

Im just a newby but wondering if Low G note options could be included somewhere in the video instructions for those of us who play your standard tuned music notation but use a Low G Uke. Could help everyone in learning to find other note postitions on the fretboard also maybe.

Many thanks.

Jo ( From Coffs Harbour, Australia.)

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Jo.

It’s not always as easy as substituting notes because you also need to consider things like timbre, the flow of the song, and the left-hand gymnastics required. I’ve linked a video of me playing an RC101 arrangement for high G, which I rearranged for low G (actually, the uke is tuned Bb (F, Bb, D, G) but you get the idea). As you can see, it is not a straight transposition of notes onto another string. For example, the arpeggios now start on the low G string because they aren’t relevant to the melody. I’d stick to low G arrangements for now until you are confident playing around with them yourself. There are plenty of arrangements for low G on this site. The other thing you can do is to get a second uke that is tuned high G. A good way to do that would be to win one of the monthly challenges 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.