Practice

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    philrab66
    Participant

Hi Drew
    Quick question if you are available. When practicing for instance if I am learning first 4 bars should I get them to proper tempo before moving on?
    Cheers Phil

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hey Phil,

I would recommend to hone in on timing when you have a complete section or phrase down. You referenced mastering four bars at a time before moving on, that’s perfectly fine. Most songs are written in eight bar phrases, for example: A verse or a chorus. So splitting that in half, is an excellent approach for learning quickly. But I would also recommend to work on the transitions.

So if you master bars 1 through 4, then you master bars 5 through 8, don’t forget to go back and work on bars 4 to 5. I commonly notice people forgetting to work on the transitions. The same would apply when you are playing from one section to another, a verse to a course for example. So you would work on the last bar of the verse to the first bar of the chorus.

Hope that helps!

philrab66
    Participant

Hi Drew
    Thanks for your detailed reply. Yes I do work on the timing because I know how important it is but when I try to match your speed on most songs it seems impossible to play up to speed.Should I get it up to speed before I move on to next bars?
    Thanks Phil.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t worry about trying to play it at my speed. The thing to remember is: speed comes in time. I would make your goal this: To be able to play it at a certain tempo, steadily throughout the entire piece. So if that’s 70% or 60% of the speed that I played at, then that’s perfectly fine. When you feel comfortable at a certain percentage, bump up the tempo by increments of 5, until you get it to the speed that you want.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.