Question re. Arranging a Song

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Question re. Arranging a Song

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    miztaken
    Participant

Hi Andrew and Everyone Else!

I am doing my own arrangement of “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” (Creedence Clearwater Revival), one of my favourite songs learnt early in my uke “career”.
    I cannot live without it in my repertoire any more, and I cannot find a finger style version anywhere (without having to pay for it ;D ).
    So… I have the melody mapped out, with chords for depth and contrast (I guess that’s how you could describe it), BUT I am having a disagreement with Beloved Husband re. the harmony which I will be strumming.

HE says: the harmony should be the same pattern as the rhythm guitar ie. frickin’ endless down – up – down – up and on and on…

MISTY says: the harmony could be / should be whatever is standing out at that time in the song. It may be snare or bass or lead guitar or even that “Farfisa” organ (anyone remember those dream crushers from the 60’s?). As long as it does not overwhelm the melody.

Which is correct?
    Thanks, Misty.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by miztaken.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

If it’s an iconic part of the song, I’d incorporate it into the arr. I haven’t heard that song in a while, so I can’t comment specifically on including it or not.

lisadmh
    Participant

Cool song to arrange. I’m thinking the steady beat is one of the iconic features of the song and it would be weird without it?

Can you try a snippet with it and a snippet without so you and we can decide?

I hate to get involved in a dispute with Beloved Husband. Lol.

robinboyd
    Participant

I can see both points of view, but it really depends on the result you want at the end of it. Do you want a faithful recreation of the rhythm guitar part, or do you want a general recreation of the feel of the whole song. If it’s the latter, then I’d go with your approach. I’d probably add some chucking to recreate the snare drum, and there is nothing wrong with throwing in those organ parts before the chorus. It’s just a matter of what you can physically achieve.

becky7777
    Participant

I just listened to the studio version again. My opinions reflect me not being able to play my suggestion below, but what I’d shoot for.

I’d go with trying to keep a steady chuck type thing going to keep the steady rhythm sound the rhythm guitar and drums give to the song. (I agree with robin, the nail sound tapping the strings would be a good snare hit, and falls into the iconic rhythm guitar sound.) That doesn’t mean endless strumming btw, but if it were me I’d try to keep that da da da chuck thing. If it interferes with the lyric notes.. I don’t know, since i’m a noob i’d need to mess around with anything and see what sounded the most true to song and kept the rhythm? (And probably change something lol.πŸ˜‚ can’t help myself.)

I know this wasn’t much help deciding, but you can always solo the lyrics on uke with your hubby doing the rhythm guitar and everyones happy 😁. (Don’t kill me lol.)

miztaken
    Participant

@robinboyd and @becky7777
    I am currently going with the steady rhythm as harmony between the melody parts.
    Funny thing is: I have this awesome arrangement well under way, and I CAN’T PLAY IT!!!
    πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

I would class it as intermediate, and I am NOT there yet… it will take me a long, long time to get up to a good speed. At least it is a favourite song and my own arrangement, so I will be happy to take a long term investment into making the arrangement work and playing it well.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by miztaken.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.