Scales / Modes

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Scales / Modes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    surferjay
    Participant

Just interested in which scales / modes people are using.

My most used scales/modes are:

Major/Minor
    Pentatonic (Maj/Min)
    Harmonic Minor (My favourite).
    Phrygian
    Phrygian Dominant
    Dorian.

Anything else people can recommend for the Uke that would be awesome.

recdog
    Participant

I got a lot out of Matt’s monthly lessons on modes. As far as a goto place to start playing notes along with something my favorite is mixolydian. It is very useful to have the root right in the middle there.
    C to A string for the key of F.
    0 2
    0 1 3
    0 1 3
    If you learn all the notes on the E string, you have a great place to start for any key. Also works well with the dominant 7th chord, but put that to the side if not sure what that means.
    I then like extending that into other modes for the key you are in including an extended pentatonic.
    This “extended pentatonic” is seen in the guitar “fretboard logic” books and the pattern can be used for major or minor of course depending on which note you are starting/referencing.
    Here is an example for the key of G or Em, string G to A.
    0 2 4
    2 4
    3 5 7
    5 7
    or
    7 9
    7 9 11
    10 12
    10 12 14
    You can check where the G is and the E for minor pentatonic and use same “pattern” for any key.
    Ron

surferjay
    Participant

That’s awesome, not something I’ve played with.. I’ll have a play with all of that and see if I can add it into my playing.

Thanks for taking the time. 😍

surferjay
    Participant

Had lots of fun playing Mixolydian in F. It’s a great position to play from. Really nice sound.

I found lots of ways to use to combine the pentatonic with modes like you said.

For instance if I’m playing over an A Dorian Chord Progression instead of thinking to much about how to play the A Dorian scale I can use the Am Pentatonic to play both.

1. Am Pentatonic works over A Dorian (notes match)
    2. I can use Am Pentatonic to play A Dorian by adding in F# to the Pentatonic (so basically I have Dorian minus one note but still get the Dorian sound because of the F#).
    3. If number 2 does not make sense I can play the pentatonic scale a step up ie play B minor pentatonic and it does this automatically.

So basically playing A minor pentatonic with F# added gives Dorian or playing B minor pentatonic over Aminor gives Dorian.

Lots of good stuff to make improv easier.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.