Set Lists

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Set Lists

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

Do y’all have a set list? It’d be cool to see what you’re playing. Please share!

I realized I was learning a song then moving on to the next and forgetting the first, so I created a list and I’m using it as warm up. These are the songs I can play most cleanly without looking at sheets and like enough to keep in my arsenal (a couple have a couple notes I trip up on without sheets but I’m almost completely sheet free on all). Some are rather silly, but I’m excited to have a list. All RockClass101 versions unless otherwise specified.

My First Set List
    1. Strumming the Blues
    2. The Prettiest Ukulele Song in the World (youtube)
    3. Our First Song
    4. In the Hall of the Mountain King
    5. Ode to Joy
    6. Fingerpicking Etude #3
    7. Soft Kitty (googled plus my own additions)
    8. G6 song (YouTube)
    9. Waimanalo Blues
    10. Aadams Family (got it down but trying for full Andrew speed by the end of the monthly challenge)

What’s on your list?

Thank you for posting this. I am new to the Uke and have been wondering the thing. What is a list if sings people are learning? Are you memorizing the piece and then moving to your next song? I want to learn so much bit don’t want to jump around so much that I forget what I have already learned.

lisadmh
    Participant

I am not as good at this as my list suggests. I do tend to jump aroundand forget whay I’ve learned. It’s a risk. I should remember to play all of my top songs once every day or two to keep them alive. I do have a few I work to keep fresh.

Actually, that would be a cool challenge. Play a set list of any five rockclass songs cleanly.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by lisadmh.
    rickeymike
    Participant

That’s one of my biggest frustrations. I forget how to play the songs that I’ve previously memorized.
    -OUr fist song
    -Aura Lee
    -Yankee Doodle
    -Addams Family
    -Silent Night
    12 bar blues

After a month of practice on each one, Why doesn’t stick with me?

lisadmh
    Participant

I think playing each one a couple of times as warm up would help? But the list adds up and it’s hard to play them all and still work on new songs.

Andrew, how do you keep your old songs fresh? Any tips for us!

lisadmh
    Participant

I think playing each one a couple of times as warm up would help? But the list adds up and it’s hard to play them all and still work on new songs.

Andrew, how do you keep your old songs fresh? Any tips for us!

lisadmh
    Participant

After spending a week on a tropical beach with a uke and no tabs, I have a new appreciation of actually having a set list I can play. It’s was good for me to be away from my tabs and have to stretch my memory I old songs. My actual playable set list was

– Jazz blues – that current month’s challenge
    – Strumming the Blues
    – Uke blues
    – Waimanalo blues
    – Ode to Joy – with effort, I got it by the end of the week
    – Our first song
    – G6 song – YouTube
    – 3 finger exercise 2
    – 4 finger approach exercise 2
    – seven nation army

That was all I could manage without tabs. They’re stronger after being “forced” to play for a week without looking.

I wonder what the best routine is for keeping songs up. If you average practicing 5 days a week (sometimes I miss some work days), say 3 days on new songs and two only on old songs? Or four and one, with some warm up with old songs every passing day?

I think I’ll try 4 and 1 this month and see how it goes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.