Setup issue?

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Setup issue?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

I’ve entirely been playing my low G lately. I have switched in the last couple of days back to my high G soprano and I’m finding it really, really hard to fret the first fret. Harder than on my tenor. I’ve always struggled with barring the first fret for example, but in comparison with my tenor that I’ve gotten used to lately, the soprano seems wrong even just fretting a stock F chord. Do I have a setup issue? What do I need to do? Pic for reference.

akukes73
    Participant

Based on my limited knowledge (which is very limited!) if the action is fine then it may be the nut that needs adjusting rather than the saddle. I seem to remember reading somewhere if you depress the G string at the 3rd fret then the string should nearly touch the first fret i.e. so you can only just get a piece of paper between the string and the 1st fret. If the gap is larger than that it may mean that the strings are too high at the neck and hence are harder to bar. If that is the case then the nut slots need some attention – filing down – though I wouldn’t try that myself and would take it to a reputable music shop. Anyway just thought I would mention it.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hmm. The string is pretty close when I fret the third fret. Maybe a little higher on the E string though, and that is my hardest string to fret.

Of course, we’re on lockdown so I can’t get it checked. 😞 I’ll check it out at a shop maybe when we’re back in business. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.