Share Your (Ukulele) Art!

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Share Your (Ukulele) Art!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Heeeeellllloooo!!

So, @muzikmama agreed with me that this would be a fun topic even though it isn’t exactly ukulele related: Share your visual art! Paintings, drawings, anything like that would be fun to see.

@johanna2509
    , you mentioned that you paint on occasion, it’d be really cool to see your paintings, but no pressure if you’d rather not!

I figured out a way to connect this topic to ukulele-playing, though.

I created this comic based on a lesson Matt taught. During one of the live lessons he told a story about a slug as an analogy for ukulele practice, how it can feel so slow but before you know it, you’ve gone really far. I found that story so funny that stuck on my mind and I’ve had this idea for a while. πŸ˜… I think it was the live lesson on fingerpicking speed.

Hopefully you can see the comic! I’ll start with that. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

robinboyd
    Participant

Nice comic!

Not ukulele-related, but I’ve been making this sort of thing lately.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@robinboyd, ha, thank you! I also sent the comic to Matt, but I’m not sure if he’s seen it yet. Not sure if it’s clear but it’s suppose to be him in the comic with the slug. πŸ˜…

That is so beautiful! I love that. Do you have a wheel and such at home? Do you take it somewhere to fire it? I’d be pretty surprised if you had a kiln, but it’s not impossible. πŸ˜‚ I’d love to see more pictures if you have them! I actually remembered you specifically saying you did pottery, so it’s funny that you posted, lol. Thank you for sharing! 😊

I already posted a few of my paintings in the December challenge thread awkwardly (sorry), so I’ll share a few more of my digital drawings here:

1. Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins
    (Done in a Facebook drawing program that no longer exists called “Graffiti”)

2. Audrey Hepburn
    (Done in the old version of MS Paint)

3. Strawberry
    (Done in the slightly newer version of MS Paint)

MS Paint is just a generic drawing program that comes with Windows that sometimes allows you to draw pixel by pixel, but I love it because it’s very simple. Also I already posted the strawberry, but I can’t remember where. Now all the drawings / art will be in one place. πŸ˜…

muzikmama
    Participant

Cute comic..never know where inspiration might come from. The portraits and strawberry drawings are so good. Is it harder to do on a computer? Is it all freehand? Nice pottery @robinboyd. Cool seeing people’s other interests.
    I drew this tonight..uke related & links back to this months challenge. I find faces and hands tough. Elsewhere, I noticed I was a bit out from the reference pic. I tried.
    πŸ™‚

leb397
    Participant

You ladies are multi talented!!!! impressed.
    Louisa

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@muzikmama, that drawing is gorgeous! Very well done indeed. Do you keep it a sketch or ever add color to it? Again, really well done! How often do you draw?

Thank you so much! In some ways digital drawing is easier. It can be easier to keep the drawing clean and yourself clean. πŸ˜… But it has limitations too, like having less control over the “material” and drawing tools in some ways, such as delicate/more refined pressure control that you’d have with your hand and a pencil. I’m sure there are drawing programs now that are a lot like drawing with a physical pencil or brush and look super realistic, but I still love MS Paint too much. πŸ˜… I use the touchpad on my laptop to draw or my finger on the touch screen, but I’ve been thinking of getting a pen tablet sometime, hopefully soon. Thank you again for sharing! 😊

@leb397
    , thank you so much, my friend! πŸ˜…πŸ’• When you’re an introvert and single most of your life, you get to have a lot of hobbies. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚ At least I have. I have more besides even the obvious two. πŸ˜…

Oh I was going to say that I have a few more ukulele-related arts to share soon. Two of which are just ideas, one already exists but I don’t have it on hand. πŸ˜…

leb397
    Participant

@TBB Look forward to seeing more. Hobbies lean towards friendships so one may not be single forever. 😊❀️

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, ha! Thank you for saying so. Perhaps you’re right. πŸ˜‚πŸ’• And thank you! I’ll share the other two ideas once they exist, of course. But now I actually have three ideas… πŸ˜…

But here’s the other thing I already had finished. The story behind it is, one day when I was thinking about all the different “ukulele combo” instruments, such as a banjolele and guitarlele, it got me wondering what a pianolele would be like, since I played piano for a large chunk of my life and wish that such an instrument existed. πŸ˜… Hence, I created this prototype of the “pianolele.”

Attached: first, a closeup of what the top looks like; and, second, is how it would be played, by standing atop a small staircase and tilting it against yourself. All very realistic and safe. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…

I sent this to Matt a while ago (I’ve sent him too many bizarre things) and he said that the keys should be the same notes as a ukulele, which was my biggest mistake: I had all 88 notes of a piano broken up into four 22-key sections, but again he was right; it’s missing too much of the “ukulele” half of the instrument.

I have too much time on my hands. I know that. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜³

I realized I didn’t answer you fully earlier, @muzikmama, I do the digital drawings freehand. When I’m drawing with real pencils, I have used a grid before to map things out better, but it’s still all freehand. No tracing, but it’s totally fine if anyone draws that way, obvs. πŸ˜…

muzikmama
    Participant

@leb397 Thank you!

@The_Bumble_Bard
    I was gonna just post amendments I made mostly to the face, hands and ukulele but since you mentioned colour, I added it come what may lol. I don’t usually but should practice with colour. So have only gone with pencils for now before trying other mediums. I’d like to do my pictures darker so will be getting a darker drawing pencil. I rarely draw. Recently did a couple pictures which need fixing. Did other less serious attempts in the recent past and a few many years ago.
    I think I tried computer once ages ago and didn’t know what I was doing πŸ˜„ but the programs are probably better nowadays. In any case, I think I prefer traditional mediums. Do you have a preference?

muzikmama
    Participant

@leb397 Thank you!

@The_Bumble_Bard
    I was gonna just post amendments I made mostly to the face, hands and ukulele but since you mentioned colour, I added it come what may lol. I don’t usually but should practice with colour. So have only gone with pencils for now before trying other mediums. I’d like to do my pictures darker so will be getting a darker drawing pencil. I rarely draw. Recently did a couple pictures which need fixing. Did other less serious attempts in the recent past and a few many years ago. Yep, using a grid is still you doing it. I do freehand, so why I’m probably gonna have to vacuum up the eraser bits in trying to get it right.
    I think I tried computer once ages ago and didn’t know what I was doing πŸ˜„ but the programs are probably better nowadays. In any case, I think I prefer traditional mediums. Do you have a preference? Thanks too!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@muzikmama, that is so beautiful! I think you did really great adding color. That definitely adds another level of difficulty, always, because then you’re not just thinking of value, but color-matching and things like that. πŸ˜… What kind of pencils are you using? Another thing you can do, carefully, is add more pressure to make the values darker. I would practice doing that on separate sheet if you haven’t done that very much before though. Try going from the lightest pressure to the hardest you can get (without hurting yourself or the pencil). πŸ˜‚ You can do that in a scale from the lightest pressure to the hardest, as if you’re shading in a rectangle (if you don’t know what I mean, I can send a sample). That’s just my thoughts on that, since I’ve done a fair amount of drawing in my life… most of my life in fact, though I stopped for long periods here and there due to reasons. I hope you don’t mind me suggesting that, but that’s one thing I learned from taking art classes in high school and experience, is how to get a range of value. πŸ˜‚ But the form you created is so, so good. It’s perfect. So many people struggle drawing people and getting things like proportions correct and you nailed it. πŸ˜…

I think I love both equally, digital and traditional mediums. I’ve kind of gone through phases of doing both, depending on what I’ve had going on in life. Digital is great because it’s practically way easier to do, you have all the tools right in front of you with no mess. I really just haven’t had the space to draw with traditional mediums for a while but hopefully that’ll change very soon.

Look forward to sharing / seeing more! This is such a fun side tangent that we’ve managed to link to uke playing. I do think one creative outlet can enhance another. πŸ˜…

robinboyd
    Participant

Actually, I do have a wheel and a kiln at home. I got the kiln ultra cheap on Facebook Marketplace. Before that, I used to take my work to a shop to get it fired.

muzikmama
    Participant

I had to look up meaning of values..my lack of art knowledge showing hehe. Thanks and I don’t mind at all. Any feedback to help me improve is welcome. About finding the right colours..skin tone is challenging. He looked jaundiced at first. For some reason, I thought a mustardy colour would work lol. I dropped that quickly.
    Drawing-wise, I have strayed from the reference pic more than a bit so decided to go with it rather than redo too much of it. There’s positioning and proportions that could’ve been improved. Some things can be left I think even if not intended, if it fits and being that it’s an approximation rather than say…photo realism – that’s a whole other level and time commitment. Appreciate your comments. I think I have regular colouring-in pencils. Some Faber Castells. Your years of experience in art is evident in your work.
    Isn’t a cross between a uke and a piano an accordion? I kid. That’s the image I got lol.
    Would love to see more people join and share art, uke related or not.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@robinboyd, that’s so cool! Awesome that you don’t have to tote unfired pots and things around and you can do it at home! Maybe at some point you could take pictures of your setup or at least more of your work! 😁

@muzikmama
    , haha, no worries about that! My technical knowledge about pretty much all of my creative hobbies is surely lacking compared to a lot of people. I kind of go more based on feel and replicating what I see with most creative things. I think it’s totally okay if you stray from the reference; I actually think that’s really cool. Ha yes photorealism is a w totally different challenge. πŸ˜‚ I think that’s a good brand of colored pencils. They are tricky though because they can be waxy and it can be harder to get fuller colors. Ha thank you so much for that! Visual art is just another thing I love to do. πŸ˜‚

Haha! For a second that seemed right. That is kind of a pianolele. I saw a guy on YouTube who made an actual pianolele, wonder if I can find that.

Same!! Anyone can share their art here even if it isn’t directly uke related. Or other things too like @robinboyd shared. Doesn’t just have to be drawing or painting. 😊

muzikmama
    Participant

I know there are other methods people use as a guide such as drawing an oval with lines through as a base for drawing the head..on paper at least. Do you do other methods like that? I go back to look at your portraits. You have a good eye.
    As an example of what I said about the extent of a re-do. Changing the ukulele had put the strings out of alignment. I left it. I can get a bit OCD’ish looking at my errors lol.
    Exactly about any form of art being shared, like Robin’s. That’s what I meant πŸ‘.
    Oh yes, about waxiness, pulled out my unused oil pastels yesterday, tried it on blank paper and thought nup, its gonna be a YouTube tutorial with these. I guess it’ll be tricky, like with paints, to not mess up.
    (Hopefully, no double post after this edit).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.