Share Your (Ukulele) Art!

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Share Your (Ukulele) Art!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

If you’d like to see more of my work, check out my Insta. It’s still fairly new, but I’ll keep adding stuff to it. The setup is nothing fancy though. It’s just an unfinished space under the house. It doesn’t even have a floor

https://www.instagram.com/robin_boyd_pottery?igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

muzikmama
    Participant

@robinboyd That’s excellent and great you can make some income from selling them. Beautiful blue coffee cup!

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks. I didn’t sell that one. That’s my morning coffee cup

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@robinboyd, really beautiful work! I really love the one with the stone (?) in it. Lapidary? I’ve never even heard of that, but it sounds neat! πŸ˜…

@muzikmama
    , that method of drawing faces using the lines is a really great way to practice proportions and getting a sense of facial structure and facial features and things like that. I definitely have practiced drawing faces like that before a lot, partly because it’s really fun to do. πŸ˜…

So, I have done that, but when I’m drawing a portrait I want to finish, I look a lot at the “negative space” to get a sense of how big to draw the overall figure, which is just basically the background; the distance between the edge of the drawing and where the figure starts. It’s hard to explain, hopefully that makes sense. πŸ˜…

There are also other ways you can measure, like using a pencil as a guide. This video explains it super well: https://youtu.be/BavOGXGcR1o?si=MDM0THJtbaFYPB6g

I also do that, but after a while of measuring that way, you get better and better at imagining those lines without using a pencil, but it can always be good to check if you want to be sure, especially when you’re first starting the drawing. Thank you for saying I have a good eye, I love to draw, I should do it more, too. πŸ˜…

With the uke strings, that’s a good example why measuring the proportions initially can be so helpful. But I think your drawing turned out very lovely. I think it’s true that a drawing can still be really great even if it doesn’t exactly match the reference. That’s part of what makes visual art fun, too, is that you can modify in that way. The same goes for playing uke.

Oil pastels are tricky. Kind of better for looser drawing styles IMO. Another thing you can try is charcoal and charcoal pencils. They come in black and white and in color. They can be really fun but really messy. πŸ˜‚

Here’s my uke edited to look like a sleep paralysis demon, trying to bring this back to uke (haven’t finished the other uke drawings yet, lol):

muzikmama
    Participant

Lol, I like your demon uke. Thanks for the link and sharing your methods and ideas.
    Coming up with a uke idea can be challenging but this simple art and craft project of a Flying V ukulele eventually popped into my head. Had an idea to make it for a video so it isn’t painted perfectly. Only 3 pics allowed in this post. I might redo the video, not sure – apparently there’s an issue.
    Some thoughts: I used silver paint for the strings to make it visible against the white back plate on the body but should have reversed the colours. I marked some lines next to the fretboard before drawing in the 12 frets.
    I was thinking of what you said about values while (still) working on the shading part.
    Started off with a round soundhole but I had to change it to imitate the electric guitar and finally, it evolved this way because my daughter is a big FNAF fan.
    Fun fact: See headline on the newspaper, “Reach for the Sky”, which was coincidental. I had to include it in the photo.

muzikmama
    Participant

Better picture of my attempted shading

muzikmama
    Participant

Re-did the video after deleting the previous one due to a copyright notice I got for the music I used. I had little choice but to try to figure out the music riff (intro to Talking in your Sleep by The Romantics), so it’s my version that I looped as best I could to accompany the video.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@muzikmama, oh my gosh, absolutely amazing! I can definitely see that you got the idea behind values / shading. That looks really good! But also that’s just hilarious. I love that it ended up atop your tree. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜…πŸŽ„πŸ’šβ€οΈ

The other uke art I want to do also might take a while. One is a project I still want to do with @jbmills07 and one is another art project I’m hoping I can coerce Matt to help with in a small way, but I haven’t asked him yet. πŸ˜‚

Maybe I’ll create something small in the meantime because those other projects will take a little bit longer and I already know this week / weekend are going to be non-stop insanity. πŸ˜‚πŸŽ„πŸŽ€

If you have anything else you’re working on please share it here. So much fun. Again would love to see other’s (ukulele) art, too!

Oh wait, one more thing. Did you know that they have ukuleles on Amazon that you can assemble and paint yourself?! I’ve wanted to get one of those for so long but couldn’t justify buying it. It may sound like trash but boy would that be fun to paint on a uke… Maybe at one of my family’s painting parties coming up I’ll do that instead of a 2D painting. πŸ˜‚

johanna2509
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard I’m sorry, I totally forgot to reply to your message! I am very busy with my masters thesis, it’s stressing me out. I mostly do pencil drawings, I like the technique where you put a grid over a picture and copy it square by square. It’s very tedious though. I did two of those with a real photo of myself and my boyfriend, but I am not confident enough to post it here lol. πŸ˜… I’m also not that creative to do my own paintings, that’s why I enjoy putting a paper on the laptop and trace already existing images. After tracing the outlines, I colour it with pencils. The last time I did that I painted a dragon which I found on reddit as a tattoo idea. I will share that one. 😊 I mostly draw stuff from video games that mean much to me. I did one from the game Celeste, it’s about coping with depression and the lack of self confidence. I’ll share that one too.

And, I wanna share some creative stuff that is actually uke related. My boyfriend likes using the open source 3d modelling software Blender. He created some wallpapers for me. They look so cool! The inspiration was my very first uke from Luna Guitars.

The drawings you posted are looking great! So many details on the portraits, that’s impressive. You are very talented. 😊

johanna2509
    Participant

And some more ukulele wallpapers, that didn’t fit into the first message:

muzikmama
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard Those ukulele kits can make good wall art if nothing else. I used to have a 100% home made ukulele which had a woman’s face drawn with a burning tool (not by me). Very cool but I don’t have a pic unfortunately. Good luck with the collabs and anything else you have going.

@Johanna2509
    My mind was thinking they were paintings. Very nice work on the colouring in. The glow in the dark blue ukes in the wallpaper appeal to me. Well done by your BF. I must have a thing for blue.

I know it can be embarrassing to post things as I think of all that I post on the site – poor Andrew πŸ˜†. A big thanks to the generosity of the whole community. I’m motivated to try to give a bit back.

Thanks to @The_Bumble_Bard for starting this thread. With it’s parallels to playing ukulele, it’s been enjoyable, inspiring and stimulating. And I’ve learned things. πŸ‘πŸ€™πŸŽ¨ πŸ–Ό

Happy New Years everybody πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@johanna2509, no worries about the delay! What is the subject you’re studying if you don’t mind me asking? Drawing with a grid is indeed tedious, but if you want to be really accurate without tracing, it’s good for that. I have only drawn with a grid a handful of times and not with my digital drawings (I’ll attach a charcoal / white pastel drawing I did using a grid method to this reply at the end). That’s so sad, I’d love to see that portrait, but I understand if you don’t want to share. πŸ˜…

Some people “hate on” tracing but it saves so much time to get to the fun / important part, which is creating a more completed drawing with color and value and all that. I know professional artists who trace just because it saves so much time. They can create the sketch without tracing but choose to trace simply because it’s faster. But whatever the reason, I see nothing wrong with it. 😊

Your drawings are so beautiful! My favorite is the dragon. I love that so much. That would make a very lovely tattoo, or did you already get it that way? I actually have an idea for a ukulele tattoo; I should draw that out, even though I’ll never get it as a tattoo. πŸ˜… It’s so much fun to create art based on shows and other things you find meaningful like that. That drawing of Celeste is very cute and well done. I’ve liked to make drawings from movies, The Lord of the Rings was one I liked for a while for that. Also, celebrities just because they often take really beautiful, artistic portraits of celebrities that make for fun drawings.

Those uke backgrounds are so cool! I love that. I’ve never done anything with 3D modeling but it looks really neat!

Thank you for your kind words about me drawings! That was kind of my “main thing” for a while but I like to do too many things. πŸ˜… Thank you so much for taking the time to share your drawings, they’re absolutely beautiful! 😊

I’ll be back with another uke drawing in a little while–of my imaginary ukulele tattoo. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

But here’s the drawing I did using a grid; it’s a drawing of one of my photos (I have too many hobbies, yet still too much time on my hands… πŸ˜‚):

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Sorry I got a bit carried away with that reply. I get overly excited about creative topics. πŸ˜…πŸ₯ΊπŸ€

@muzikmama
    , welp, guess I’m getting myself a late Christmas present then! It’s going to be one of those uke-painting kits. You’ve sold me with “wall art,” that’s exactly what I was thinking.πŸ˜‚ That’s really cool, I love handmade things like that. I want to paint one with a cow print / theme for my Wisconsin-born love of cows. Oh and I need a cheese one too! I’m an adult. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜­ Would you ever get one of those? If so, would you share it here if you painted it? Ha, thank you, first I have to make the drawings / writing exist for those little “collab” projects. The hardest part of any project is starting and finishing it. πŸ˜…

Yes, agreed, really appreciate Andrew creating this community and also going along with all the nonsense. πŸ˜… And also putting up with many of the cringey things I’ve done and said. πŸ₯ΊπŸ˜–πŸ˜…

You’re welcome and thank you for all your lovely contributions to this! So much fun. I’ll have more uke-centric arts soon and again anyone who would like to share their (uke) arts here, feel free! 😊

Happy New Year to all! πŸ˜ŠπŸŽ‡πŸŽ†πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸ₯‚

muzikmama
    Participant

@TBB I’ve never been one to hang my ukes on the wall, there’s no room elsewhere and I like ukes I enjoy playing so the diy kits aren’t for me. I’ve painted pretty basic craft stuff so painting is a realm I have to explore.
    Amazing job on your flower. Looks like a photo!
    Incoming non uke drawing I did in October which I returned to, spending more time than I would have liked, improving and adding values and other details – checking it side by side to the reference pic from time to time, I just felt how incredibly difficult portraits can be to do entirely freehand. It’s about as good as I can do it. I used to think a single pencil would be enough. Now I think graduating shades will be necessary to make the values work/pop. I’m a light handed drawer so working on that too. Excuse the crumpled, ripped state of the paper.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@muzikmama, haha that’s completely understandable. I normally don’t do as much crafty stuff like that either but that’s one I can get behind. πŸ˜…

Thank you so much for liking my drawing! That’s one of the few completed charcoal/pastel drawings I’ve done. Your drawing is so beautiful, really, really well done! I’m sorry, I forget if you said, but how long have you been drawing? That’s Cillian Murphy, isn’t it? I sometimes have facial recognition issues. πŸ˜‚ Yeah, I think the only thing you could do to improve it is darken it up a bit and maybe add more shadows and such, fill it in more, but it’s really lovely as is, too.

This is the last non-uke drawing I’ll share for a bit, too. It’s the actor Eddie Redmayne, done in MS Paint.

The next thing will be uke related, promise. πŸ˜‚

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.