Sonata No. 8 by Beets

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Sonata No. 8 by Beets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

… by Beethoven. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…

This is my first semi-successful arrangement of a classical song that I’ve tried. I’ve known this song on piano since I was a wee lass, so I knew a lot of the notes already, but I was pleasantly surprised that I magically was able to figure it out on uke. Well, after some doing, like I rambled on about in the video description on YouTube.

Even with the new mic, the recording is not great. Sigh, have to figure that out. Also with my laptop webcam it now looks like it’s filmed on a potato but that’s probably for the best anyway. πŸ˜…

This is why I’m so excited for the pending course on classical technique coming up on RC101 as I’m sure a lot of people are.

Anyway, I’m nervous to post this but I hope ya like it! Thanks for reading my ramblings again! Hope everyone had a lovely holidays, plural, agreement error. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜…

robinboyd
    Participant

Nice job!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@robinboyd, thank yooooou, friend! Hope your hand is feeling somewhat better! 😊

Side note, I’ll likely add to / modify this arrangement but I was so excited that I figured that much out that I had to share. <:D

surferjay
    Participant

That was so beautiful.. I love how classical music has the ability to connect and transports us back to the period the arrangements are from. Almost like a musical time machine.

P.s Digging the cardigan 😍

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Thank you SO much for that, Jay! It means a lot that you say that because I’m pretty much constantly plagued by self-doubt, especially about my own little projects. I’m trying to work on that though. But yes, thank you! 😊

Oh my, yes, I agree with that so much! Musical time machine indeed. πŸ˜… For me, knowing about Beethoven’s life and the many sorrows and travails he endured affects how I play his music, because you can just feel the heartache behind the notes; it really seemed that he poured all his grief into his compositions–to create something so beautiful and moving that is still poignant and real to this day. ……….I have feelings about Beethoven. πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚πŸ˜³ But yes, this is one of my favorite songs of his.

I already have multiple things I will change about this arrangement. Most of the notes I’m happy with but I have to change the position some of them are played because they are unnecessarily awkward to play. Trying to go for efficiency.

Hahaha oh thank you! πŸ˜… I always forget that “cardigan” means “sweater” in British, for British is a separate language. Just as “waistcoat” in British is “vest” in American. I think that’s right. Anyway thank you again!! πŸ˜Šβ€οΈπŸ’š

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks @TBB. I finger is healing very slowly. It turns out I broke it, so it’s taking a while.

p.s. it’s only a cardigan if it opens at the front (often fastens with buttons). Otherwise, it’s a jumper πŸ˜‰

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@robinboyd, eesh, that’s the worst. That’s probably one of the worst places you could break a bone is on your hand. I hope it heals faster than you expect.

Ha, oh yeah, how could I forget “jumper”? Haha it’s good to know that distinction. πŸ˜… Another Britishism I enjoy is “torch” which of course Americans call a “flashlight.” It just seems like maybe the British didn’t update that term since medieval times, “enh, same essential function.” πŸ˜…πŸ˜‚

robinboyd
    Participant

Not just my hand. It’s the tip of my right index finger!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Literally the exact worst place possible. I’m so sorry. πŸ˜…

gi_gi_
    Participant

Wow 🀩 Amazing @TBB keep it up. I enjoyed this so much

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ thank you so much!! I really appreciate that, so much that I want to cry. πŸ˜… I feel like I owe so much to the people here, for the encouragement and everything I’ve learned here; something like this would not have been possible for me before I joined here, to figure out a “complete” arrangement like this. Hopefully this weekend I can post an updated version and see if I can fix the sound issues too. But yes, thank you so much! πŸ₯°πŸŽŠπŸŽ‰

leb397
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard excellent! Love classical on Uke. Totally get the fear of posting. Encouraging words are deserved.
    I took a break with playing, babysitting, a bad cold. Excited about being back on track. Keeping up with all of you .. ha
    Happy playing πŸ™‚

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@leb397, thank you so much for that! I love classical music so much and the uke is so perfectly suited for playing it– unassuming, quirky, and cute as the uke appears. I felt so inspired seeing some of the classical arrangements from this site, “big” classical songs played on the little uke. It sort of expanded what I thought was possible to play. Otherwise I probably never would’ve considered trying to arrange this one. Even though it doesn’t remotely compare to the crazy good arrangements of RC101, I’m still pretty proud of it for my current knowledge/ability. This is more than I ever would’ve/could’ve done before joining here.

Hehe, breaks are good. I’m sorry you had a bad cold. That seems to be a trend lately. Babysitting I consider borderline impossible but I have done it and everyone survived so that’s a success. πŸ˜… Glad that you’re back! Happy playing to you! 😁

gi_gi_
    Participant

@TBB You’re quite welcome. You really are doing great. Since you joined this site many have opened up and share more so thank you for bringing a down to earth, breath of fresh air feeling to the site 🌸🌸🌸

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@gi_gi_ awwww thank you so much! πŸ’•πŸ₯ΊπŸ˜ That’s so lovely of you to say. I’m just so happy that I did end up joining this site and meeting you guys and all the lovely people here–and the instructors here who also have inspired and genuinely affected me so much, especially Andrew and Matt but the genius of the other instructors is pretty clear too.

I didn’t even know the difference between a high G and low G before I started here or what a hammer on / pull off was, πŸ˜… and it’s still so exciting to learn new things on uke and keep improving those things. πŸ˜ŠπŸ’•

I so look forward to continuing to share with you guys and keep mutually encouraging each other. That’s seriously meant more to me than I can say. We’re going to make some crazy loops this year! 😁😎

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.