strings

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear strings

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    kayleighb

Maureen stick with the wound 3rd for a while and see how you get on. I’ve been told it takes some time to settle but the pay off in sound is worth it.

I spoke to Southern Ukelele store about strings for my uke and they advised on a couple that would suit the wood and build. Maybe reach out to them if in the UK or Mike at Uke Republic and see what they recommend.

kayleighb

Oh and I love my flurocarbons. I much prefer the m to the Aquilas!

mheiden
    Participant

Thanks Kanni and Kayleigh– I appreciate your feedback. I’ll give it some more time.
    Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like the action is too low and I’m getting alot of dead notes. Like on Etude 13, the hammer-on from fret 3 to 2 barely makes a sound. On St. James Infirmary, the part on fret 7,8,9 with the pinky on 10 for 1 note…I can’t even hit the string with my pinky…it seems like it sits close to the edge or something. I’ve been really frustrated. Or just basic things, I am getting dead notes- maybe I’m not holding the strings down hard enough…I don’t know.

*the wound C is much thicker than the low G wound strings on my low G ukes.

kanae926
    Participant

Being that the C string is normally the lowest string, I bet that wound third is pretty thick (more so than low G). I honestly think it’s a matter of the tension difference going from nylgut to fluorocarbon that’s creating most of the new learning curve (I know I did minus the wound string part).

I don’t know if any of your past ukes have had a set up, but for me, my Pono was the first and the action was a lot lower. I found it easier to play the first fret, but there was a lot of muting I did elsewhere probably because I hadn’t adjusted to the action difference and new string flexibility. 🤷🏻‍♀️

All I know is, the fluorocarbons are way easier on my fingertips and they hurt less after getting my Pono. 😂

mheiden
    Participant

Yes, I have 3 ukes that had a set up (2 low G); this one feels a bit lower in places. I’m glad you had the muting issue as well. I’m sure it’s just time. What is funny….how you describe fluorocarbons sounds like how I describe Aquila’s….the fluorocarbons seem much more rigid and they really beat up my fingers! LOL. When I switch back to my other uke, everything seems easier.

I’ll keep you posted.

kanae926
    Participant

Haha! That’s weird. Are we talking about the same thing? We’re complete opposites. 😂😂😂

Maybe the ones that come on the Pono aren’t fluorocarbon then. The description shows:
    “All Ko’olau ‘Alohi (Hawaiian for brilliance, pronouced A-lo-hee) are crafted from a dense monofilament material that has an attractive, translucent purple hue. They have a polished, smooth feel analogous to nylon, but with a slightly brighter tone and increased projection.”

I’m not sure what that means. lol! Better call a strings expert because clearly I’m not it. 😆

mheiden
    Participant

haha…..I don’t know what that means either…but the strings are D’addario. I was surprised when I read that insert as I was expecting the Ko’alou. Who knows!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.