Synchronization problems between iPhone video file and Ableton audio file

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Synchronization problems between iPhone video file and Ableton audio file

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ukandrea
    Participant

Hi, I really hope somebody can help me as I do not find the solution to the following problem.

In short: Since I use my iPhone 12 for video recording I cannot sync the audio file of the video with the separately recorded audio file anymore.

In more detail:

Actual setup with variations on iPhone videocamera setting that all cause the same problem.
    First version:
    Video recording with iPhone 12
    **** Videocamera setting on iPhone. – Variation 1: 1080 HD (30 fps) – Auto-FPS enabled ***
    Audio recording with audio interface Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen, TONOR XLR condensation microphone and software Ableton Live Lite 10
    Cutting software iMovie: Here I import both the video file and the Ableton export wav.file and then shift the waves of both files to the exact same position on a good visible significant point in the wave line.

—> Outcome: When I synchronize the waves on one point e.g. in the beginning, the video and audio file drift further and further apart towards the end (the iPhone movie/audio line is slightly longer than the Ableton export audio file).

I read in other forums that this is caused by the Auto-FPS setting so I changed that and played around with some variations, but all with the same result – the wave lines cannot by synchronized throughout the whole file.

**** Videocamera setting on iPhone. – Variation 2: 1080 HD (30 fps) – Auto-FPS disabled ***
    **** Videocamera setting on iPhone. – Variation 3: 1080 HD (60 fps) – Auto-FPS disabled ***

With my previous setup with a camcorder I had some other problems but the synchronization of the video and the audio file worked always smoothless.

I had the same settings in Ableton Live Lite for both setups, at least I am not aware that I did a change.

Thanks so much if anybody has a hint what is going wrong here.

Andrea

ukandrea
    Participant

Adding a picture of the wave lines…

Andrew
    Keymaster

Drifting is normal, but it shouldn’t be noticeable until about the 15 min mark. If you’re making shorter videos, then something is happening. I’d post this on the Ableton support forum.

ukandrea
    Participant

Thank you Andrew.
    I notice the problem already after around 1 minute, which is really annoying.
    I tried all the above mentioned variations on the iPhone plus in the meantime tried to set everything I could find around Warp in Ableton to disabled. Still the problem is the same.
    Unfortunately the technical support of Ableton is only available for full version, not for the version Ableton Live 10 Lite that came included with the purchase of the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen.
    I am attaching my Ableton Warp settings, just in case anybody sees something is wrong.

I do not really think that the problem lies in Ableton but in the iPhone video settings.
    I will keep you posted when I find out the root cause.

Andrea

ukandrea
    Participant

Hi group,
    after days of trying different approaches and tests to find the root cause for that annoying drifting problem (I spare you the details) I finally found the super easy fix solution in this short video – and it perfectly works. I tested it on a 15 minute video. Before the fix the video and audio file started drifting after around 1 minute slightly and really badly after 3 minutes. With that easy done fix it is in sync throughout the whole timeline.

Andrea

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.