Theory course

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    willkuchta
    Participant

Thank you for the theory course. I always felt like I was rehearsing songs not really playing them since I didn’t completely understand the theory. My question is about course itself, should I complete 1 section at section at a time completely before moving on? More Specifically learn all notes on fretboard before moving onto section 2?

Thx
    Will

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks Will, I’m glad you are enjoying the course! It is vital to understand module 1 before moving on to module 2 and 3. An understanding of the theory taught in module 1 will be required to comprehend the lessons taught in module 2 and 3. To answer your question about memorizing the fretboard, that is something that will take time. A complete memorization is not required for moving forward throughout the course. I would recommend to print out the fretboard diagram showing the notes as you can reference this throughout the course.

If you have any questions on the material don’t hesitate to ask. I’m happy to help 🙂

Cheers,

Andrew

* Here’s a link to the Music Theory Course for those that are unfamiliar with it.

willkuchta
    Participant

Ok dumb question maybe but I am asking anyway.
    So when playing a scale, do you play your root string until the next available open string is next step? So in lesson 3 when making the 3rd interval you pick up the root string C and then the E, instead of picking up the E note on the 4th fret of the C string?

Thanks again for help and this course,
    Will

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Will, so this question is in regards to the interval lesson. The diagram you are looking at is simply showing you the distance between the 8 (counting the root, twice) notes of the major scale. I labeled them on alternate strings to help visually represent the distance on the staff (standard notation) and tablature.

C to D is not shown stacked, because they are on the same string; And the closest D would have been the 5th fret of string 1, which would have been an octave further. The distance would be the same if you played it all along the third string.

Further along in the course, you will learn multiple positions for playing the C major scale.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.