Toss a Coin to your Witcher – Arrangement Question

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Toss a Coin to your Witcher – Arrangement Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sir_anzalot
    Participant

Hi Guys!

This is not exactly a question about Matt’s existing Arrangement, but rather an inquiry if it is possible to add to it a bit. I recently found this fingerstyle Guitar Cover of the Song on YouTube.

The Arrangement is pretty close to the one we have available here style wise, but Guus does this thing where he plays the second iteration of the chorus after the second verse (starting at 2:17) as a higher variation. I fumbled around for a bit but can’t seem to hit the right notes for this to sound as cool on the Uke as the Rest of Matts original arrangement (which might be due to the fact that I am not exactly good at arranging in the first place)

I really like this Song and it is one of my go to pieces to play. I would love to be able to give a whole new layer of dramatic effect to it by adding in this higher variation. Could anyone who is more versed in musical arts than I am help me with this, or begin to by telling me if it is possible or not? 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Sir_anzalot

I just had a bit of a fiddle with it, and while it is probably possible, I don’t think it would be easy to do it. When he plays the higher version, he plays a whole octave higher. Until the strumming bit at the end, the highest Matt’s melody goes is the 2nd fret on the A string, and the 4th fret on the C string, so if you had a long enough fretboard (like most tenor fretboards), you could just move everything up 12 frets, so that would mean playing the first Em chord as 14 15 16 12 (or 14 15 16 X or 14 15 16 0, etc.) Unfortunately, both my ukes with enough frets to try that are strung low G, which makes it difficult. Still, that’s where I’d start.

Robin

sir_anzalot
    Participant

Hey Robin

Thank you! I dreaded that would be the answer. The em Chord behind the Barre is uncomfortable enough as it is, not even accounting for the little melody licks in the chorus, but that high up the neck it becomes next to impossible – especially on a concert without cutaway. The only one I have which would have that kind of space is also strung low G. On top of that, I feel that playing it this high up the register might result in a loss of a lot of ‘body’ of the song. While doable on the guitar with additional deeper strings, this is a problematic thing on the uke.

After your reply, I checked Guus’ Video again and noticed that he made a lot of effect happen with artificial harmonics. Though I am not perfect with these I do quite okay around them and think I might be able to work in at least a small bit of higher variation in the chorus through these. Not quite the same extend of cool but it just might work as a drama amplifier, if placed right.

Thanks again for checking Robin. If anyone else has additional ideas I’m all ears 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by sir_anzalot.
    robinboyd
    Participant

I like to add harmonics wherever possible. I say go for it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.