Very beginner questions :)

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Very beginner questions :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kovacsmeli

So maybe there are more of us who has just started playing ukulele and it would be good to collect these “silly” questions under one topic… ( If there is one, please forgive me and give a link please 🙂 )

For a start, my silly question is about holding the uke. I listened the Holding your ukulele lesson and watched you Andrew and others in many lessons, and tried to play some songs, but can’t figure out the right technique. So I hold my uke against my side, try to hold its body with my right arm, but when I change the position of my left hand, I have to secure my uke with my right ring- or little finger. It was OK when I just played accords because I didn’t have to move to much with my left hand, but slows me really much and makes my play uneven when I try to do fingerpicking. What is the secret?

rickeymike
    Participant

Definitely not a silly question. I too have the habit of holding the uke with my right pinkie and ring. Chords that require that the thumb be under the neck (like barre chords for example} are a particular problem with keeping the uke from moving. I do find that using a strap is a big help.

Andrew
    Keymaster

The trick is creating neck stability through the index finger by using form 2.

Feel free to post a video of you playing and I’ll be happy to confirm no other issues are present 🙂

kovacsmeli

Thank you both for the answers. Barre chords are soo difficult… I will try the strap 🙂

I post 3 videos, one is Aura Lee with little movements, one is a Hungarian song strummed with C,G and F accords, and part of Brahms’ lullaby, where fluency is the worst. Thanks for your help.

kovacsmeli

The strummed accords:

kovacsmeli

And lastly the Brahms Lullaby.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for the videos. Here’s my feedback 🙂

kovacsmeli

Thank you very much!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.