Wipeout, The Safaris muted strum pattern

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Wipeout, The Safaris muted strum pattern

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    curlyuke
    Participant

Hi Andrew
    Please can you type out the muted strum pattern for the breakdown?
    Thank you
    Curly

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Curly, it is notated in the notation above the tablature. If you’re new to notation, check out this lesson.

But the main pattern is:

1 2 &a (3) e& 4 &a
    1 2 &a (3) e& 4

I’d recommend to put it into “synthetic” mode on the tab player and slow it down and loop the 2 bar phrase. If you don’t know how to do this, watch the 2nd video on this page and skip 6 minutes into it.

curlyuke
    Participant

Hi Andrew
    Thanks for replying so quickly, sorry for my delay, my notification went to a junk file but that’s fixed now πŸ™‚
    I’m trying hard with your above advice but it’s not really getting there yet. What I was really after was a typed out Down, Up, Knock strum pattern, like Island strum is DDU UDU.
    When I play the tab player in synthetic mode there’s no difference in sound and when I slow down in video/audio mode I can tell I’m missing something in the middle but I’m not sure what πŸ™‚
    I haven’t worked out how to turn 1 & 2 & … into strum patterns. I’ve seen your lesson but not got it in my head yet.
    This song is way above my level but it’s fun so I’ve been tinkering with the melody for a few months now and it’s almost not bad. I thought it was time to try the breakdown for a few months too.
    Curly

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is a video to help and I’ve given you a challenge! Let me know if you have questions πŸ™‚

curlyuke
    Participant

Crikey, I don’t know whether to be star struck or worried about the homework!
    Thanks Andrew πŸ˜€
    It may take me a while but I’ll get back to you – good challenge!

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure!

curlyuke
    Participant

Hi Andrew
    Thank you, I’ve enjoyed my challenge as much as I’ve been annoyed by it πŸ™‚
    Hope your pain settles

Andrew
    Keymaster

Curly, so sorry for the super delay! I saw this post, and then it got drowned out with posts in our April challenge, and I just remembered today! So glad I remembered πŸ™‚

Awesome job on challenge number one! I think you are super close to nailing it. If you listen back, you deviate off the beat a little bit, but you never lose the beat OR knowing where you are at. And that’s the most important thing, especially when you add in counting the rhythms to the click while playing. This exercise is so good for helping you develop rhythm and timing. Keep up the great work!

Great job again on challenge 2! So again I’m hearing that sometimes you deviate a little bit, but you are so on the right path πŸ™‚ Here’s an idea for the ending, hit the G7 3 times, with this rhythm:

1 (quarter) 2 (quarter) 3 (eight)

Then on the & of 3, you will play the three notes that precede the main riff (all as eighth notes). That simplifies it and will sound very good as you go back into the main riff.

curlyuke
    Participant

Hey
    Thanks for the feedback, no worries about the delay, I figured challenge time would be busy πŸ™‚ You made my day!
    My mind tends to wander and that’s when I ‘deviate’, I’ll try and concentrate while learning the new ending πŸ™‚
    I’m giving the May Challenge a go, I’m loving the site, I never expected so much help and I’m very grateful. Thank you πŸ™‚
    Curly

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure Curly! Excited for you to participate this month πŸ™‚

betsy_manning
    Participant

Wow, this sort of thing is worth the admission right here!

Thank you curlyUke for asking the question and to Andrew, for the detailed video!

Timing is definitely one of the most challenging things for me!

Thank you both!

curlyuke
    Participant

You’re welcome Betsy πŸ™‚ I still haven’t managed to get this right but I’ll have to give the challenge a go this month as this is the tutorial which brought me to the site in the first place!
    Good luck!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is a helpful video that breaks down the rhythm I used in the performance. See the post above for rhythm hits.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.