yet another moon themed song

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing yet another moon themed song

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    misterbones
    Participant

I’ve been working on learning this arrangement of the song “How High The Moon” for a few weeks, and got it down just in time to close out the moon themed month of October. How High The Moon used to be the signature tune of Les Paul, one of the most innovative and influential guitar players of all time, jazz and otherwise. Please check out the live version of Les Paul and Jeff Healey jamming out on this tune, available on youtube. Two guitar legends side by side. Les Paul was 82 years of age at the time of the recording in 1997 and still played like a young god, what an inspiration!
    Here’s my take on this super fun and uplifting song, a solo ukulele arrangement by Takashi Nakamura, from his book “Ukulele Swing Jazz”.

ldarrow
    Participant

Cool @misterbones. I will definitely look up the duet. By the way your ukulele is my dream uke. When I have developed better skills it will be my reward/splurge

coffeemug
    Participant

Super fun!

rebeca
    Participant

Awesome! I take my hat off to you ;). Particularly amazed by the use of partial bars with your middle and ring fingers. It seems easy in your performance and i’m incapable of doing that.

rickeymike
    Participant

Great!!…….and kudos for great vocals by Mary Ford in the original.

rickeymike
    Participant

misterbones
    Participant

Thanks guys!

@rebeca
    : As all things, that too comes with practice. Jazz is my favorite musical style, so most of the ukulele pieces I learn outside of the rockclass101 challenges are arrangements of jazz standards. And while some of these chord shapes are challenging, the nice thing is that there are just a few of them, and they repeat all over again in pretty much every jazz standard. One of the first pieces I learned was Sweet Sue, Just You from the James Hill book Duets for One, and that one song contains pretty much all of the basic jazz chord shapes. After I had that one down, everything after that was so much easier, since it’s the same shapes all over again, just in different sequences and positions.

@rickey: Thanks so much for posting the original! I was tempted to post it myself, but I didn’t want to spam you guys. But if you’ve got just two minutes to spare, don’t liste to my version, please listen to the Les Paul & Mary Ford original. That recording is such a treasure! I can’t stop being amazed all over again by the sheer amount of creativity and innovation packed into these two minutes of magic. In terms of guitar and vocal playing and recording technique, this is not years, it is decades ahead of its time. Can’t believe this was recorded back in 1951. Also, I would recommend to check out the youtube video “playing like Les Paul ain’t no joke” by Guitar Pilgrim, where he breaks down the guitar techniques in this exact video. Very relevating. Finally, check out the video “Mary Ford & Les Paul Absolutley live.” You’ll see that Mary Ford was not just a great singer, but also a bad-ass guitar player. And the ending is just hysterical.

rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Bones! Les & Mary were wonderful.

gi_gi_
    Participant

Great playing and thanks for the video from YT too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.