Reply To: Participate in the July 2017 Member Challenge – Beginner Themed Challenge

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2017 Member Challenge – Beginner Themed Challenge Reply To: Participate in the July 2017 Member Challenge – Beginner Themed Challenge

Andrew
Keymaster

Great job on both songs Sam! My only suggestion for you, is to go back on Aura Lee and practice either with a metronome or with the on-screen tab viewer to tighten up on the timing a little bit. You can also tap along and count while you play, that’s a great way to work on timing too. Awesome job overall, love seeing you guys participate every month 🙂

Wow, you got that down fast Chip! I think we got it right, this was a great one for you to work on. My advice for you is similar to the advice I left for Sam above. First, if we compare how you played the riff versus the chords, your timing on the chords was great. The riff was a little jerky, and this comes down to it being harder to play than the chord section. So I would suggest to break it down and just work on bar 1 and 2, loop that and play along to a metronome or the tab viewer. Then work on bar 3 and 4 in the same manner, then try to tackle the entire riff. Let me know how it goes, but you did very well on this. Keep up the good work!

Hi Lisa, I think you meant the 4th string. It’s a little awkward at first to get this playing approach down. It sounds like you just need to work on the grip adjustment, which takes time. It’s similar to when you first learn how to fret chords, it takes a while to get the muscle memory down, learning how much strength do you need to apply to make the note(s) ring out, and how to position the fingers so they do not block other strings, etc. Keep at it and let me know how it goes.