3D printed soprano ukulele

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear 3D printed soprano ukulele

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    qiuyan
    Participant

I started playing with 3D printing lately, and printed a soprano ukulele.

View post on imgur.com

Comparison with a Kala soprano:

View post on imgur.com

Well, the 3d printed one doesn’t sound as good as a $15 souvenir uke that I bought in Hawaii gift shop, though the cost of building it (material + strings + tuning heads) already exceeds $15… But it’s fun to print and build it myself, and it still sounds better than I expected for one uke printed in plastic, so I’d like to share some recording on this 🙂

Picking only – Dream a little dream of me:

Strumming only – Loke Lani (Melody A+B only. I learned this a while back, and couldn’t quite relearn Melody C back today):

Picking + Strumming – If I only had a brain (without the last verse as I messed it up. And I’m anyways still practicing this for the monthly challenge submission):

rickeymike
    Participant

Sounds good! I’m an old man that just doesn’t understand this technology. Is it printed in parts and you have to put it together?

qiuyan
    Participant

The body was printed as a whole. The neck could be printed as one part, but my printer is not large enough, so I printed as 2 pieces and glued them together. The neck then is slotted into the body and glued. The tuning pegs are metal not printed but I swapped the pegs part to match color.

hiloukes
    Participant

Wow, I didn’t really think that it will sound this good either, nice job!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.