Participate in the September 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele

Home Page › Forums › Monthly Member Challenges › Participate in the September 2026 Member Challenge – WIN $549 Kala Ukulele

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #84372
    lhamilton
    Participant

    Hi,

    This month I worked on the harmonic version of Amazing Grace. I had an interesting time trying to get the natural harmonics to work on the 7th fret but they finally got easier.

    Linda
    I am a premium member

    #84373
    cyman_t
    Participant

    Hi everyone, for this month I chose to go back to some basics I knew I still needed to work on: the Hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides piece from the beginner level. It was a very good exercise to get better at these.
    I had some fun trying to play it with a swung rhythm, gave it a bluesy sound I really liked but I decided to stick to the original tab except for the very end.
    Here it is:

    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by cyman_t.
    #84386
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @lhamilton – Very nicely played Linda! Every harmonic rings cleanly and beautifully. The only thing I’d work on is playing the hits that mix regular notes + harmonics a little faster so they sound more arpeggiated. In your video, for ex, that would be the hit at 23 and 25 seconds.


    @cyman_t
    – Performance sounded great! With these techniques, it’s easy to speed up while playing them rather than maintaining a steady tempo. I hear them played a little fast in spots, for ex, the slide at 18 seconds in your performance. Try playing along to a click and listening/watching out for rushing.

    #84387
    brettboy
    Participant

    Ahh Thanks so much for all the kind words friends! It’s great to be back!

    My left wrist is still quite stiff and I notice my fret board range is shorter and my ability to pull of some bar chords is suffering 🙁
    But I’m confident things will continue to improve with practice and PT 🙂

    Here’s the beginner strumming pathway capstone tune Feel Good Strumming Riff!
    (A super fun song to play!)

    #84395
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @brettboy – I had so much fun writing this piece, and I’m glad to hear it’s equally as fun to play! It’s very influenced by the tune, Jack & Diane, another fun one to play 🙂

    Great groove Brett!

    #84398
    lhamilton
    Participant

    Wow! Thanks @Andrew! I really enjoyed the piece. I practice while I wait for an especially picky Yorkshire Terrier to finally finish his dinner. With this music, he kept coming to lie by my feet so he could enjoy it rather than finishing his meal.

    Linda

    #84404
    carynjoy
    Participant

    @brettboy, very inspiring. I’ve been working on both beginner capstone songs this month and right now I’m very slow on the Feel Good Strumming Riff and so it changes the sound/mood entirely. I really like the bouncy feel of your playing, it sounds so great!

    Lovely listening to everyone posts so far!

    #84408
    anyon1
    Participant

    Hi All!

    I worked on 5 Strumming Patterns this month. It was a nice break for my left hand after St. James Infirmary last month! I like the sound of the ghost notes and chunking together and am going to try to add them into my strumming when I play with my local uke group.

    #84411
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @anyon1 – Excellent job on each technique, pattern, and groove Adriana 👏

    #84413
    jdouglas
    Participant

    Still very beginner

    #84414
    jedart
    Participant

    Here is my September entry.

    Song 3, 12 Bar Blues. I tried to get my right hand in the video, the way I made the “pluck up” work was by keeping a very light touch (couldn’t get my fingers below the strings fast enough). It’s more like an upside down fan strum but hitting all the strings at once.

    #84416
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @jdouglas – Great fingerpicking and tone, James! For the Travis picking pattern, I’m hearing you play the rhythm as what’s shown in measure 1 here, instead of what’s used in the song (shown in measure 2):

    Bar 1 rhythm: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4, Bar 2 Rhythm: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4

    You can see that you’ve swapped the quarter note hit to beat 4, when it should occur on beat 1. Nothing wrong with doing this, as long as you realize the change happened.


    @jedart
    – The way you’re doing the chuck is the traditional way, as opposed to the slap/pluck method used in the lesson. Both work, and it’s really just an optional choice as to which you prefer to use. Playing sounds great, I’d say you aced it!

    #84417
    carynjoy
    Participant

    I’ve been working on the beginner capstones and here is my progress on the Feel Good Strumming Riff. Watching my video I’m seeing I have a little pause after my chucks and now I want to work on that in addition to cleaning up some buzzing and muting when I’m use my pinky to fret melody notes… BUT I’m very happy with my progress so far.

    #84419
    Andrew
    Keymaster

    @carynjoy – Here are 2 tips to help with chord transitions 🙂

    #84420
    uketime
    Participant

    Hello all,

    Loving watching all your videos, so good!! Here is my best take at Navigating the Fretboard Mini Lesson 002. Im definitely not at 100% speed, maybe about 75% but do feel that im improving as I tackle each of the lessons in the Pathways Course, thanks again Andrew for this course 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.