5 string ukulele

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear 5 string ukulele

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jinajupiter
    Participant

I see many artists performing with a double G string, high and low. Does anybody own one, and what brands are making them?

recdog
    Participant

Good question. Somewhere I saw a video where Taimane talks about her 5 string Kamaka. She explained that she actually uses a double low G and that it gives her uke a deeper tone.
    -Ron

lisadmh
    Participant

I don’t have one but I’m interested. I tried an 8 string recently and loved it at first go but at my second visit really only wanted the double G. If you can get your hands on one to try, that would help. I haven’t been able to try a 5 string yet.

robinboyd
    Participant

I also haven’t tried one but I am interested. Mele (who made my good uke) make 6-string models with doubled C and A strings, but they aren’t cheap!

Mele Mango Tenor 6

jinajupiter
    Participant

Why would you want to have a double C and A string?

robinboyd
    Participant

I imagine it would give a generally fuller sound when strumming, with an emphasis on the C and A strings… Not something I would go out of my way to achieve, but I suppose if you are made of money and have a huge uke collection, then it is something to try…

lisadmh
    Participant

The 8 string I tried had a much fuller sound but to the point of messy. The harmonic was amazing. I think it would be interesting for strumming, but too much going on for picking. The high C stringwas annoying as it’s an all new sound. The double G was interesting as it worked for high and low G songs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.