5 string Ukulele with high and low G

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear 5 string Ukulele with high and low G

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    baileysr

Hi: 5 string Ukulele, with both high and low G. Matt had a good review of high G vs low G, and basically concluded they should be treated as two different instruments with music in most cases designed specifically for high or low G to get best results. Therefore, it seems to me that having both a high G and low G creates an instrument that would be used mainly for music written for low G, or perhaps this is like an entirely new instrument and most Uke music would not suitable? Anyone have any experience of thoughts on this? John

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Baileysr

I wasn’t going to respond because I’ve never played a 5-string, but as nobody else has responded yet, I’ll add my $0.05.

My understanding is that having high and low G on the same instrument adds extra fullness when strumming, but when fingerpicking, you’ll want to stick to songs where the melody is not played on the G string. You could technically pick either the high or low G string in isolation, but it would be tricky.

Robin

baileysr

Thanks Robin. Very helpful. Bailey

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi Baileysr. I’ll agree with Robin. I was actually gifted a 5 string, and it is lovely, but I really don’t play it much at all because I’m a picker and it doesn’t really work with either high or low g songs when picking. It sounds great with strumming, but alas, I don’t strum.

baileysr

Thanks for sharing your experience. It seems similar to what others have said: it sounds great with the right songs, but there are not a lot of songs for it and they end up not playing it much.

nelsonlin2021
    Participant

I’m newbie and had the same question when I saw a 5 stringed uke on sale on UkeRepiblic. The discussion here really helps. Thank you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.