8 string experience? Or Leho brand experience?

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear 8 string experience? Or Leho brand experience?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

I played this one at the store a week ago and fell deeply, madly in love. But it’s expensive and I really don’t need another uke. Today I see it’s on sale??? Aaaahhhhh.

It’s still expensive, and there are very few Leho reviews out there that I’m finding. Anyone have experience?

https://www.long-mcquade.com/135156/Guitars/Ukuleles/Leho/Acacia-8-String-Tenor-Ukulele-w-EQ.htm

zukulele

Hi Lisadmh,
    I use this 8 string uke: https://smile.amazon.com/Oscar-Schmidt-OU28T-String-Ukulele/dp/B01MTXRVB4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3BTOF0II5059P&keywords=8+string+ukulele&qid=1559494671&refinements=p_36%3A-10000&rnid=386685011&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=8+stri%2Caps%2C195&sr=1-5
    It is a lot less expensive.
    The only downside to 8 string ukes are that they are tricky to fingerpick, and barre chords require a bit more pressure. Tuning them a can take a while too.
    But they sound great! The sustain is much longer and sounds more full. There is a nice echo effect like the chorus feature on an amp. I love strumming mine, it sounds as if there are other ukuleles playing around me. Plus, they look really cool 🙂
    I highly recommend 8 strings, they’re a lot of fun. Taimane has some impressive performances on Youtube using them too.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hmm. Much, much cheaper but doesn’t ship to Canada and there’s nothing interesting on the Canadian Amazon.

I think I could pick it. I did okay in store. I’m headed there now to check it out again.

Really hesitant on price…

lisamcc
    Participant

I’ve had a go on one – LOVED the sound when strumming, but fingerpicking was a bit tricky. However, it sounded like a lute, so for certain pieces of music, it made me sound like I was doing crazy complicated things – which REALLY I wasn’t! A very pleasing illusion! Falling deeply madly in love at first sight – that doesn’t happen often enough in my opinion, and so if we were voting on your purchase, I would definitely go with a yes! (and post a picture/vid if you do!) 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Booo. I adored it last week, but when I went up there today with some possibility of actually buying it, I want nearly so enamored. It gives a lot more sound, but the high C was bugging me, and everything I played sounded messy. I’m sure there’s a learning curve but I was getting different sounds depending on whether I picked from the top (thumb) or bottom (finger), which was really jarring.

That harmonic though, wow!

Maybe a five string would be an interesting compromise, our maybe I have enough ukes? Lol.

robinboyd
    Participant

I haven’t had any experience, but if I had an 8-string, I think it would mainly be for strumming. Maybe try a guitalele for an extra finger-picking challenge?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.