Adding a pickup

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Adding a pickup

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    carollaj
    Participant

Hi, Bit of a rambling post here sorry! I have a Kala solid cedar top with acacia sides concert in a gloss finish and am thinking of adding a pickup to it. I am a little nervous though and was wondering if anyone else had done this and if it affected the finish at all or the sound of it. I really like the idea of the pickup but the thought of someone drilling a hole into my lovely wee uke is quite anxiety provoking!! I already have bought a fender acoustasonic 40 amp and have bought a cheap ‘stick on the front of the body’ pick up thing (sticks on with a suction cup) but it always leaves a little mark and I am sure doesn’t sound as good as a built in pickup. It has been suggested to me that an LR Baggs pickup is a good one to get. Im a real newbie though so my knowledge and ability to differentiate between good and bad is not very good so I would love any advice or suggestions. Thanks, Carol

Andrew
    Keymaster

I use the LR Baggs 5.0. It takes up a very tiny amount of real-estate. I’d highly recommend it, great pickup. I’m getting it again in my new uke!

carollaj
    Participant

Good to hear a second recommendation for the LR Baggs. When its not plugged in, is there any change to the sound of the uke? Do you think retrofitting is better than buying a uke with one already fitted because you get to choose what pickup you get rather than stock standard issue? Oh the decisions!
    Thanks, Carol

Andrew
    Keymaster

No change to the uke’s tone/sound/projection. Mine wasn’t installed by Kanile’a, but was installed by Joel at HMS (the ukulele site). As long as someone with experience installs it, there’s nothing to worry about.

carollaj
    Participant

Thanks for that!

keiki18

Aloha Carol
    C/o https://www.theukulelesite.com/accessories/customize-your-order/pickup-installation.html to distinguish between pick-ups in tonal quality & costs.

carollaj
    Participant

Thanks keiki18, I’ll have a look.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.