Advice for 100% humidity & thumb sticking needed

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Advice for 100% humidity & thumb sticking needed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    becky7777
    Participant

My ukulele has an all-over gloss finish of some sort, and today was the first warm day with incredibly high humidity.

It appears my fretting hand is suffering a tragic case of “sticky thumb” on the neck. Is there something I can do with my thumb’s pad to eliminate the ‘super glued to one spot on the neck’ effect? I expect this is the first of many days I’m going to have to deal with this 100% humidity issue.

Wiping off my hands doesn’t work for more then 30 seconds or so. (And that’s being super generous with the time.)

Yes, my hands are clean for anyone wondering that too. 😁

And NO I’m NOT sanding the gloss off the tiny tenor’s neck! Or applying a chemical to remove it which is another solution I found. 😵

I’m open to any and all suggestions that won’t ruin the ukulele though.

Thanks a bunch everyone! 💖
    Becky

robinboyd
    Participant

Well, this is just off the top of my head but as you don’t want to mess up the finish (quite sensibly), you might want to think about putting something over it. Have you tried masking tape, either on the neck or on your thumb? I have no idea if it would work, but it’s what I would try.

rickeymike
    Participant

ROSIN BAG!

coffeemug
    Participant

Maybe cut off the thumb of a cotton glove and use that while your playing. Or maybe try some baby powder…if you’re out of rosin.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by coffeemug.
    mfaske
    Participant

Just my 2 cents on the masking tape solution: Be very careful in applying tape to the neck – many tape adhesives react with nitro finishes and can quickly ruin the gloss. 3M made a tape that was “lacquer safe” – I bought a roll off Amazon and it works really well, but I can’t seem to find it now for some reason. Anyway, if you do put tape on the neck, don’t leave it on there and remove it as soon as you’re done playing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.