Are there "intermediate ukuleles" out there?

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Are there "intermediate ukuleles" out there?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gaby
    Participant

I have a bit of a stupid/weird question but I’ll try to discribe it as best as I can.

Im thinking about getting a new soprano Ukulele soon. (I really would like a pineapple one, so if someone could recomment one – i’m open for suggestions :D).

So naturally i’m looking around the internet, reading reviews and so on. I was thinking about spending about 100€/$ – maybe a bit less or more. I’m not quite sure how i would describe myself as a Ukulele player. I’m not a beginner anymore I think, but I’m not a pro either.. So maybe intermediate. i dont know. but of course I want to get a nice Ukulele.

So now for the problem/question: as I read through the reviews people often wrote things like “this is a very good beginner Ukulele”. They say that about instruments for about 40$ as much as about instruments for 100$ and all them in between. I have come to the conclusion, that (if you listen to the Internet) there are only two categories of ukuleles – the ones for beginners and the ones for the professionels that start at a price of a couple of 100$. (And of course the bad ones)

I know of course, that everyone (beginner or not) can play on a “good for beginners” Ukulele and be very happy with that (because i do it too 🙂 ) and i wouldnt mind getting myself another one of those. I’m just wondering, aren’t there any ukuleles with the label “good for the intermediate player” out there? Or would it just not make any difference at all..?

I guess im just confused, because isnt any good Ukulele good for beginners ?..so ehy even mention it, if the ukulele is actually good? I think its odd that this is the one thing nearly all reviews have in common, the half good ones and the really good ones too.

I hope some of you know what i mean 🙂

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Gaby.
    lisadmh
    Participant

I’d say get the best one you can get in your price range. I think the beginner comment is because absolute beginners don’t know if they’ll like it or stick with it, so don’t want to invest in much. So a good beginner uke would be one that’s pretty good for a low price point. My first one was $40. I upgraded within a few months, but a cheap one was perfect to figure out if I’d like it or not. (Turns out I’m in love)

I see real pro ukes up around $1000 or more, because it’s a career investment. A beginner could buy a $1000 uke to learn on, but why do that if you don’t know if you’ll stick with it?

So to me, something that cost a bit more than entry level but isn’t going to break the bank, doesnt have some of the bells and whistles a pro needs, and is good quality for the price, is an intermediate uke.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Look into solid tops, they start around $250. Feel free to shoot an email to Mike @ http://www.ukerepublic.com/. He’ll be able to recommend a few 🙂 Tell him I sent ya!

andracass
    Participant

From what I’ve read and heard, the 40 euro ukulele are only to understand if you really care about this instrument, and are little more than toys (although in the hands of experienced people they sound pretty good), but as entry level are recommended those on 100 euros. For intermediate users the price range is from 200 to 300 euros.

Gaby
    Participant

Thank you 🙂

davoravo
    Participant

What the others said, a us$150 to $550 ukulele. I agree with andrew’s advice – I have a solid top and laminate sides Ohana which is really nice. But the advice to spend as much as you can afford is also good because this may be your uke for life; unless you go pro or get a serious acquisition addiction. It is cheaper to spend more now rather than have to buy now and buy again in the future if you want better sound.

Also, try before you buy. Then buy the model from someone who will set it up properly like Uke Republic or Mim’s ukes or the ukulele site. A good set up is better than spending money on a fancier model.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.