August 12th, 2019 – Live Lesson Topic: Understanding & Using Dynamics

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons August 12th, 2019 – Live Lesson Topic: Understanding & Using Dynamics

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Live Stream: Monday, August 12th at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone)

Hey guys, we are back with Live Lesson EP009! This month’s topic is: Understanding & Using Dynamics.

Dynamics breathe life into our performance. But what exactly is it? And how do we incorporate it into our playing? Grab your uke and get ready to make it sing as we dive into the world of dynamics!

This month’s topic should stir up some great questions! So please post all that you have below and I hope you guys join us for the live stream. 🙂

LIVE LESSONS FAQ:

Q: What happens in a live lesson, how long is it, and when does it occur?

A: Live lessons are usually 30-45 minutes in length, but can extend until all questions are answered. The first 20 minutes will comprise of the lesson, while the next 10-25 minutes will be a Q&A session for premium members.

Live lessons take place every second Monday of the month at 7:00pm EST (check your local time zone).

Q: Can I submit questions beforehand?

A: Absolutely! Basic and premium members are welcome to post questions that are related to the topic in THIS thread.

Q: Who can watch the live stream, how do I watch it, and how do I chat with Matt and other members?

A: Premium members will be able to tune in and watch the livestream. Premium members will also be able to chat live with Matt during the broadcast.

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

If you do not wish to participate in the live chat, you can stay on the page and watch the embedded video. If you do wish to participate in the live chat, you will need to sign up for a YouTube account (100% FREE).

To participate in the live chat, click on the embedded YouTube video’s title. This will open up a new tab and take you directly to the video on YouTube’s website. The live chat box can be found to the right of the video (on desktop). For mobile and tablet, the live chat is embedded inside the video and can be turned on or off.

For further clarification, here is a video showing how to do the above (for desktop).

Q: I can’t make the broadcast. When will live streams be released publicly?

A: The live lesson will be released for everyone to view on the day following the broadcast (second Tuesday of the month). If you cannot make the broadcast, no worries; you’ll still be able to watch the lesson. Don’t forget that you can submit questions for Matt to answer beforehand (see the above FAQ).

lisadmh
    Participant

Ugh, I missed it and here I was doing nothing. I’ll catch it offline. I hope y’all had fun!

rickeymike
    Participant

Dang, I didn’t make myself a reminder, I was walking my pug. Drat, double drat.

Andrew
    Keymaster

No worries guys! I just published the lesson, you can check it out here 🙂

I got a chance to tune in last night. Matt taught a great lesson on dynamics!

lisadmh
    Participant

Great lesson, Matt. Sorry I missed it. You’ve given me good things to work on.

I love the way when you say something sounds clunky and awkward it sounds just like me, lololol. Yes, things to work on indeed.

I have trouble identifying what is the filler vs the melody, but I’ll pay more attention and try to get more dynamics in. It was one of my goals for this year but I always forget and just focus on the notes and the speed.

rickeymike
    Participant

Just watched the lesson. It was very good, Matt. Love to see more on this topic and especially the “filler stuff”. I recognize filler on piano numbers and it does so much to fill out the song just like Matt says: between the lyrics/melody notes. There must me some “tricks” that pianists/musicians use over and over again for those fillers…….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.