Canon in D Lesson

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Canon in D Lesson

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    oldan_
    Participant

Hi Andrew / RC101 Team,

So since doing the last three challenges in 2019 I’ve been keeping myself busy with trying to learn your arrangement of Canon (fantastic arrangement by the way).

Surprisingly, after fooling around with my Uke one night a friend of mine suggested I should play at their wedding, which thankfully is yet many months away. So I want to get this really polished, so far I’ve memorised until Melody 5, and am working on the rest. I’d appreciate some feedback on how to make this sound nice.

The Uke can be plugged in, which is how it will be played – I’ve never done it before, but will surely try before the big date 😀 It’s a bit beyond me at the moment but there is still plenty of time. I’m fairly confident I will be able to tackle melody 6, but the fast parts I’m a bit doubtful…

Thanks,

Daniel

Andrew
    Keymaster

Well done! Here are my thoughts for you. Let me know if you have questions and here are the proper form lessons I mentioned: right hand and left hand.

oldan_
    Participant

Thanks Andrew for the feedback. I’m really glad I subscribed 🙂

Anyhow, the risk of not being able to play the full arrangement is fine, since the song is really nice, and I’m learning a lot by practicing this.

The stretch goal is the full arrangement and the attainable one is to polish the ‘slow’ parts, melody 1-6. Do you have any tips on how to elegantly stop the music should they walk too fast? 🙂

On right-hand form I feel much more comfy playing around the neck, and I don’t really notice much of a difference in sound… I’d say I even prefer picking where the neck meets the soundhole. I’ll experiment with it… on the left hand, whenever there are cowboy chords I tend to keep the thumb up there because it gives stability and that’s how I learned them. I find it excruciatingly hard to correct it… lower on the fretboard the thumb position is quite different, but I cannot really reconcile it yet. Anyhow, there is plenty of time, so I’m hopeful.

Cheers

Daniel

Andrew
    Keymaster

You’ll want to resolve on the 1 chord. Just keep an eye on them – so def play from memory.

For cowboy chords – you’ve formed a habit that you’ll have to break. Try to be conscious of your hand position while playing.

oldan_
    Participant

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback, here is where I’m at just now.

I think it got slightly better, I’ve now memorised it until I’ve played it in the video, not all that much left…(I find I almost cannot play properly from tabs, any tips?:))

Cheers

Daniel

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow! Major improvement, I’m impressed! I think you’re almost ready for the gig 🙂 Keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll get the last section down.

oldan_
    Participant

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the encouraging words, here I am 2 weeks later…still some mistakes, but I think I’m getting better. I don’t have the last bit down yet, I’ve cut it short after the first fast bit.

Watching your performance, can you plz give me some tips on how to create the vibrato effect? It adds a lot, but I don’t seem to be able to copy that movement well.

Thanks

Daniel

(Haven’t left the house now since last Friday, hope you’re still OK wherever you are)

oldan_
    Participant

I think this is the one video I wanted to show. I accidentally uploaded the first take. I can’t seem to find an edit post option, so sorry for spamming canon 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Performance sounds great! For vibrato, check out this lesson. It covers everything I could think of about that technique.

oldan_
    Participant

Hey!

Since the pandemic is still in full swing there has been no wedding. Nevertheless I have revisited this song, which I have grown quite fond of 🙂

I think there is improvement, wanted to show off a bit, since it’s been my 1st RC101 anniversery.

Cheers

Daniel

Andrew
    Keymaster

Bravo, Daniel! Performance has a great feel, you’ve made excellent progress. Keep up the great work! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.