Changing strings

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear Changing strings

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    gstriph
    Participant

Andrew directed me to a video about triplet strums but there was a lot on it including a questions about when you should change strings. When I first started, I changed types of strings a lot to see what effect it had on the uke’s tone and eventually settled into something I liked for each one.

It was time to change strings on my travel uke. It’s a mahoghany laminate Romero STC (meaning it has the tiny tenor body, concert scale, but only soprano overall length. I took it in a hot car, to a humid river cottage, then air conditioning so laminate is a good deal!

I don’t remember for sure what was on it but I’m pretty sure they were Worth clear strings and definitely a Fremont Soloist low G wound string.

I changed them for a Pepe Romero low G set – wound low G and what appear to be fairly similar flurocarbon strings for 1-3. I know the comparison would be more accurate if I had exactly the same strings but what can you do?

Just before and after changing them, I recorded a little to see if I could hear the difference with new strings and I though you might like to listen in…

Jerry

robinboyd
    Participant

I’d be interested in what you hear. I definitely hear more brightness and sustain in the new strings.

gstriph
    Participant

Yes… in person, the new strings are noticeably brighter and crisper. I didn’t really notice that the old strings were “dull” until I changed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.