Concert sized 8 string ukulele

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Concert sized 8 string ukulele

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gaby
    Participant

Hi everybody.

I have a question which Google seems unable to help me out with.

Are there 8 string ukuleles in concert size?

I have the Baton Rouge sun 8 string tenor ukulele. I would have bought a concert sized, but I couldn’t (and still can’t) find one. It’s the only tenor I ever tried to play, and I don’t know if it’s really a size probleme or an individual instrument problem, but the nut on the ukulele hurts my left hand, so I almost never pick it up to play. I was thinking, that maybe the nut is just a bit sharp or too high and maybe could be filed down. I took it to the only music shop around and they didn’t really know what to do with it or how to help me.

So I was thinking, that I would really like to switch it to a concert with 8 strings, since it’s my favourite size and I don’t know, if the nut on other tenors would be a problem for me too.

So I guess I have two questions really

1. Do any of you have problems with high or sharp/pointy nuts on their tenors?

2. Do 8 string concert ukuleles exist at all?

..I was thinking about buying a mandolin and just use ukulele strings on it and tune it like that.. not sure if that would be possible though.. any ideas on that?

Thank you! 🙂

kanae926
    Participant

Ohana makes 8-string concerts. Look into CK-35-8 or CK-70-8 on their website.

robinboyd
    Participant

I was sure they were around, but apart from Kanae926’s suggestion, I can only find tenors. If you wanted something ultra high-end, I’m sure you could get a custom-made one.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Look for “taropatch” ukes like this one.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by robinboyd.
    Gaby
    Participant

I will look into that! Thank you! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.