Converting Staff notes to Ukulele

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Converting Staff notes to Ukulele

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Is there any scale diagrams or such that shows what fret and string to pluck to match the notes on the Staff? For example the first A above the staff – Is it the open A string or the 12th fret on the A string or the 5th fret on the E string, etc.

Andrew
    Keymaster

If the A note is intended to be played an octave up (12th fret), you’ll see 8va notated above the staff. Definition: This indication is most often found above specific notes on a staff and indicates that those notes should be performed one octave higher than written.

To indicate to perform the same note on the 5th fret, string 2, a roman numeral (in this case V) would be written above the staff and a line can be extended from that to indicate to continue to play out of that position if needed.

This extension line is also used for 8va. (Sub 8va with V for example 2)

null

rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew. I’ve never seen (I don’t think) those notations. Would this be for sheet music written for the ukulele. I have sheet music written for the piano. In this case how would I convert? Attached is what I’m beginning to work on. See that EAGED note sequence in the 2nd bar.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes, for uke music.

You would play those notes on uke. So bar 1, the D would be 2nd fret, string 3. For bar 2, those notes fall on strings 1 and 2.

Unfortunately , this is as far as I can take you, as this falls outside of our support. But this is something Stephen could help you with in a Skype lesson.

rickeymike
    Participant

Got it! Thanks.

lisadmh
    Participant

Rickey, as long as you’re getting the right note I think you can pick the string. I swapped out a string on Star wars because my transition is easier if I catch it on the e string rather than the a string as the tabs say. Think about where the notes around it are and how to get to and from them easiest.

lisadmh
    Participant

And here’s an app that helps learn the fretboard.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fretboard.game.android

rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks, Lisa.

Question: In Matt’s arrangement of “Dream A Little Dream” in the 7th bar, he plucks the 7th fret of the A string for the E note. Is that the only way that I can play that note?

As simple as I can explain my original question, starting with middle C, which I believe is the open C string, can I play 2 complete octaves on the ukulele? C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C,D,E,F,G,A,B. The second C in this progression, I think would be the third fret of the E string. After the 3rd fret on the E string, I’m lost as to how to play the notes that follow (D through B).

bzediver

Rickeymike, when I want to quickly verify what note I’m playing, I turn my tuner to chromatic mode and play the note and it says what note I just plucked.

Lisadmh, looks like an interesting app. I’ll try it out. Thanks.

lisadmh
    Participant

7th fret on the a string equals 9th fret on the g string or 12th on the e string. You can find them just be playing around. A and g strings are easy to compare because they’re just 2 frets apart. In this case, I think the a string is the easiest?

lisadmh
    Participant

2nd question. I think you know the first octave starting on open C. Once you get to the higher c on the a string, you just move straight up the a string for the rest of the scale: 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15.

The c on the a string also equals the 8 the fret on the e string so you could start there instead, but there aren’t enough frets to finish the scale on the e string so you’d have to switch to the a. But you could do, e string,8 10 12, then a string 8 10 12 14 15

Or you could start on the g string, 5 th fret equals the 3rd fret on the a string. So,
    G string, 5 7 9 10 12, a string 12 14 15

Example I noticed of string switching that wasn’t intuitive, in star wars, 3rd bar, matt goes from the a string 3rd fret to g string 4th fret. That second note could have been just moved down one on the a string to the 2nd fret, which seems easier than jumping. But grabbing the same note over on the g string gives it really cool movement and pop somehow. Not sure why, but it’s better, even though it’s the same note.

rickeymike
    Participant

bdez- thanks for the input. But I guess it doesn’t say what octave the note is. I guess it’s just an “ear” thing….so many notes in so many places. In general it looks like plucking past the 5th fret will give you an octave higher.

And Lisa, as Yogi once said, You’re “smarter than the average bear” ha. So smart and neatly explained that as the Scarecrow said ” I should have thought of it myself”.

bzediver

Rickey I have an app called Universal Tuner on my phone. It displays the octave number and a piano keyboard representation of the note plucked.

robinboyd
    Participant

@lisadmh – This might answer your question about why playing that note on the G string gives it pop http://ukulelehunt.com/2010/03/31/campanella-ukulele/

@rickeymike
    – I saw your post last night and was going to answer it this morning, but Lisadmh beat me to it, and provided a better answer than I could. I tend to use an app like what bzediver talked about and also refer to a cheat sheet like this https://liveukulele.com/wp-content/uploads/Fretboard-with-halfsteps-ef-bc.png

rickeymike
    Participant

Robin, thanks. I’ve got that same “cheat sheet” inserted into the cover sleeve of my song book binder. That’s what I was using but so many repeated notes on different strings…..So which one to use? That app that bzediver uses would be very useful to identify the octave.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.