difficulty level and frustration

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons difficulty level and frustration

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    anirbaf
    Participant

heyho,

I use to look for songs over the search form. but the level of difficulty is only written on the overview pages so it’s hard to know what level it is.

for example I found brown eyed girl pretty darn hard but I found it under level 2 songs. whereas I had no problem learning scarborough fair (also level 2)

how about a possibility on the song pages where members can vote on difficulty levels? this way there’d be a second hint on how difficult people found the piece. a rating system basically.

I start to get frustrated with thinking out loud (level 3) which I would give a 4 ++ with all the tapping and simultaneous slapping going on 😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

That’s a great suggestion! To be honest, some of the older songs (like Brown Eyed Girl) where ranked before I had a solid idea of what defined level 1, 2, etc. Older songs were also ranked before I introduced the “Beginner Series” level. So as you notice, some tunes probably should be placed at a higher level.

I’d use the ranking as a suggestion, not as a set in stone guide. Some of the best advice I have heard is: If you think an arr. is beyond your current level, give it a shot! Even if you don’t learn the entire arr., you will get better in the process.

Plus, I’m always happy to help on any lesson! Feel free to post ?’s on the forum if you need help.

lisadmh
    Participant

I’ve thought of the voting before too. It would be a very nice feature. Sometimes the levels overestimate our abilities, lol. There are 1s I can’t do, and the occasional 3 I can do. A vote leveling system would be cool when you’re ready to add a new feature.

anirbaf
    Participant

that explains it!

and for the asking questions, I know and I appreciate it very much! so far I am able to learn everything by myself using the tab viewer and printed tabs. I am amazed by the amount of work you guys put in so that rc101 has a very personal feeling to it.

I will keep your words in mind and stick with thinking out loud and maybe learn an easier piece parallel.

thanks so much (:

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure! And thx for the kind words 🙂

becky7777
    Participant

Maybe a text with links page? Kind of like a sitemap or index type thing with an alphabetized or date added etc type dropdown…. (Tossing ideas)

I have no idea if something like that can be made so we could sort the lessons so it’s saved on our machines or something? We can kind of do that with records using lists but you get the idea I hope.

Again just an idea.

becky7777
    Participant

Anirbaf- I stopped looking at songs by difficulty ranking everywhere. In my opinion it kind of depends on the person, what they studied, and what they like.

My personal “choose your own adventure” coarse path, which is a mess of me skipping around, along with monthly challenge song choices, and everything else going on with me, led me to wherever I’m at right now. (Which is a weird place, but it’s definitely some stage of beginner at least, lol.

Story time!

It started as a joke with miztaken in a private message because of the famous “If you can sing it, you can play it” thing Andrew says. (Which is true… to a point! So of coarse I need to poke fun. lol..)

I linked miztaken the Siccas Guitars video of Ana Vidovic playing Asturias. (with the coughing! It’s my favorite performance! And Ana’s Lisker Foundation, Recuerdos de la Alhambra performance, because she used an ambulance siren.. I want to be able to do that too! lol.)

I can totally sing Asturias! Trying to sing any song that I like, with tremolo, just sounds really goofy and doesn’t help me “play it”! 😂

Mike Holland made really great ukulele tabs for Asturias though, so im slowly working my tremolo. (I NEED tremolo!!)

Asturias is a “grade 8 or 9 out of 10, classical guitar piece” btw. 😉 Mike’s arrangement is about as close as ukulele can get I think, so i’m guessing it’s similar difficulty level on uke. I’ve been playing since mid October last year, so….. I’m probably just insane, but try everything you like! (Typed so much sorry!)

I have several songs saved that are too hard now, but I hope to learn eventually. Unless I go back and find them on the full list, I don’t know what level they were ranked. I would like to suggest each song include the level in the title or somewhere on the page for easier reference.

Not to make more work… you guys are awesome and this site has been the best. I don’t know if I would still be playing if it weren’t for rockclass101. You’ve Made making progress possible and understandable and kept me challenged and motivated. I recommend this site to everyone. Your lessons and arrangements are the bomb!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestions! At some point, I’d like to do a site refresh and will keep this in mind.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.