enya nova u really that good?

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear enya nova u really that good?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    anirbaf
    Participant

I saw people here playing it and I was thinking about the version with a pick-up. I don’t want to drill holes in my wooden uke (:

What do you think about it? maybe @sir_anzalot I remember you playing the enya.

cheers

sir_anzalot
    Participant

Hello there!

Yes, I do have it, but not the EQ version. I think it really is a steal (bought it for 80 I think) and the thought of getting it a second time but with the built in EQ did already cross my mind 😉

Aside from what one may think of its thin body it has great volume and tone and even the prestrung Enya Strings are worth their salt. I did have to change them regardless because I use it as my low G Setup. There are two things I’d say are worth taking into consideration before buying though.

The first being that even though it is a concert size, the frets are relatively wide (especially up to the 7th) as a result of the whole neck being able to be a tad longer due tue the cut away. Not a problem but it does make some things ‘stretchier’ to play on the lower half of the neck (one part of Out in the North was quite challenging for me because of that).

The second thing is the volume when you go up the neck, as in it doing a considerable drop down if you go there (don’t worry too much, I’m talking about everything past around fret 12/14). This actually was an issue, for me at least, when I played People are Strange in June. Even though I had some better runs in practice I was not really happy with how the recording turned out on the high variation of the Verse. I had to really attack the strings on that part to try to make up for the loss in Volume which made it less clean all in all. I know that it is a normal thing as the strings don’t vibrate as much anymore that high, but my guess is that the slim body build is not doing us any favors here in terms of resonance.

Reading this may sound harsh but I am very happy with the Nova overall and don’t regret the purchase on bit. Just want you to be able to make an informed decision 🙂 Maybe with the built in EQ the Volume thing up the neck (should you play there a lot) might not be as much of an issue.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I’d be happy to help you out.

anirbaf
    Participant

@sir_anzalot I finally decided to get the enya nova, it just arrived and I’m delighted! It’s more than I expected and has a nice weight to it, sound is super clean. love it. thanks for the advice. let me know if you get the electric one. happy new year, stay safe.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.