Etude 18

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

I’ve been working on this one because I love it. I’ve done something funky with the timing that probably violates musical rules but I really like the vibe. It’s much slower than the original, but I’m not trying to speed it up, because again, cool vibe. It’s got a chill out meditation thing going on.

Cheat alert. I threw in a strategic rit at one point and one-stringed one chord. Gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes when they get all fancy on us.

It’s a mix between AJs version and Andrew’s easier version and my own dumbed down tweaks and sounds quite different from the original, but the original is in there.

I’m struggling with some buzzing, as I always do on my low G, and nothing I do ever had finesse, but I wanted to share anyway. Love this one. I think I’ll get lots more practice on it since I just love playing it.

Feedback welcome. Even if harsh. I can take it.

robinboyd
    Participant

Sounds nice!

jinajupiter
    Participant

Nice Lisa! I also have this low G buzz. I was wondering if it will change if I file the slit in the nut a bit.

becky7777
    Participant

Sounds great lisa!! That does look like a blast to play. I’ve only tried 19 so far. (It’s definitely a challenge for me.)

As far as feedback from the peanut gallery, me… The only thing I could find after listening a bunch of times is somewhere between 1:00 and 1:03 you have a walk up type thing. If it were me, I’d try to just make it flow a bit smoother. (Lisa wanted feedback. So I left feedback I’d want to be aware of. And it’s my honest opinion.) I didn’t hear any buzzing at all except one place your finger touched a string or let up pressure for a note, so I think you’re going into your ‘I’m being to harsh on my own playing’ head for that. Try to stay as relaxed as possible too.

Once a song leaves the paper I’ve been recording some practice sessions and listening back. I have also been practicing listening to what the mic is hearing only, and one headphone on, one off. It helps me spot stuff and keep a notepad of ideas, if im lucky to be recording when I figure something out lol. Anyway super long babble fest.

becky7777
    Participant

Jina- Oh goodness, don’t go nut filing until you’re 100% sure the buzz is happening at the nut from the slot being incorrect.

The different brands of uke have different specs on their nut slots. Most low G strings will fit most ukes. There’s a few strings that are too wide but you would need to do some research on your uke and strings etc.

If it’s on the uke you can’t stand though i’m behind you 100% if you want to learn to fix your uke. 😁 I had to learn to file fret ends.

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks guys. Lol Becky, no surprise on that walk up. You have no idea how many times I have run exactly that 4 note sequence. It is the hardest thing in the song (or, the hardest part that I didn’t cheat on and edit out).

My buzzing is user error, not uke workmanship, so no filing down anything here. The tenor is just harder for me to nail the finger placement on. I’d go to a store to ask before filing anything, unless you know a whole lot more about this instrument than I do!

becky7777
    Participant

Lisa- Actually filing the fret ends is something everyone in colder or drier climates will probably have to deal with at some point.

The flesh eating uke I got, shipped with REALLY BAD fret pop. I got the file after learning fret pop happens a lot, mostly in winter.

Glad I got the file!!!

I needed to use it on the pro set-up tiny tenor too because it was like running my hand up and down razor wire sliding my hand on the neck after they lowered the action! (Uke Republic was not responsible btw) I have no other complaints on the set up other than a loose tuner nut. I just chalked it up to i’m glad I learned basic uke, or I guess, guitar maintenance. I was freaked out taking a file to my TT but I kept thinking all that can happen is I either fix it and am happy, or i’m stuck tearing up my hand, hating to play on it. I figured if I messed up a little it just adds to it’s history lol.

lisadmh
    Participant

Well I live in a climate with cold dry winters and no problems yet. Thanks for the heads up.

I’ll still be going to the store if it happens. I’m not good at doing stuff and things.

robinboyd
    Participant

I agree with Becky that the buzzing on the G string is probably due to problems with fretting rather than the nut, but it’s hard to say without playing it. FWIW, I also have trouble playing tenors. Concerts are much more comfortable. In Jina’s case, I have no idea what is causing the buzz, but I don’t think filing the nut would help. As far as I know, buzzing at the nut is usually caused by the nut slot being too wide, not too narrow. If it is too narrow, the string will sit high, which will affect things like intonation, but it shouldn’t cause buzzing.

Re fret ends sticking out, if you live in a cold/dry climate, you should humidify your ukes and condition your fret boards religiously. When I bought my expensive uke (the light coloured one that I play in most challenges), I bought a humidifier to go with it before discovering that my climate is right in the butter zone so I’ve never needed to use it. My hygrometer is currently sitting next to my guitalele stand, and it is reading 49%.

lisadmh
    Participant

Any recommendations on fretboard oil?

My humidity drops to 20 in the winter. I have a humidifier for my solid wood but not sure it’s enough.

Humidity is back up now. The uke is happy. The joints, not so much.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by lisadmh.
    robinboyd
    Participant

Kanni had a recommendation on the Guitalele thread.

kanae926
    Participant

I realized I experience the “ping” sound when I tune a couple of my ukuleles, so I was thinking about getting the Music Nomad tuning lubricant.

Katie talks about it on this video. She also mentions what surface cleaner and fretboard oil she likes and why.

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks. Googood video. I’m putting together an Amazon order. I need to learn to takecare of these things.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.