Fingerpicking Etude #3 C2 to F1 transition

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Fingerpicking Etude #3 C2 to F1 transition

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cashmpe
    Participant

I’ve been practicing the chord change above but find my pinky is just a bit slow to land on the string in time to pluck it. I watched Matt’s “live” lesson on improving chord changes and he suggested to look at where your fingers are and move them as efficiently as possible. So I decided to use my pinky on the C2 7th fret and then after plucking the A string and letting it ring a bit I slid my pinky to the 3rd fret and then put other other 2 fingers down for the F1 chord. I know that’s not how Andrew does it in the tutorial. Am I just creating a bad habit by doing this or am I being creative? Thanks for any feedback.

Andrew
    Keymaster

You can def do that! It lines up exactly with what Matt taught in that live lesson. You could even use the ring finger for both chords if you prefer that for the F (1).

juliel
    Participant

Andrew has very long and flexible fingers. Ditto Christopher and Matt. I have been playing uke for some years now, my fingers are short – and old! I have learned to find my own way to shape certain chords, especially those involving four fingers. Because it’s not just about playing them, it’s about moving to them fast from other chords. Fir this reason I play some chords in a couple of different ways, in particular D7, Fm and G. Depending on where I have moved from or am moving to. I take Andrew’s advice on fingering (and that of the others) when I can but sometimes we just have to find the way that best suits our own fingers.

cashmpe
    Participant

Thank you Juliel and Andrew for the feedback. I’m glad to hear that I am not creating bad habits as I begin my Uke playing journey. Take care and stay safe.
    ….Patrick

dindinnet
    Participant

I have been struggling with this transition too! It feels like my uke is falling off and I have to hold it as I slide my hand up the neck to F(1). Any cues on work on this issue?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by dindinnet.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

It might be due to how you’re holding the uke. Here’s a video I made to help another member out. I’ll also paste additional lessons that touch on this topic. Here is the first and second lesson I recommend reviewing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.