For My first Grandchild

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing For My first Grandchild

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cashmpe
    Participant

I’m a beginner Ukulele player and soon to be a grandfather for the first time. I decided to try and record a few songs I thought would make good lullabies and children songs that I’ve learned from Andrew on the RC101 site. As a premium member I love the access to the on screen tab viewer. It really helped me a lot. Anyway here is a little video I made for my future grandchild that I recently shared with my daughter and hoped it would become something for them to remember me by. Not to mention to see if I get any better at playing the uke in the future. Ha. Thank you again to Andrew and RC101 team for giving me the opportunity to learn music that I never thought I could…..Thank You….Pat

Andrew
    Keymaster

Congrats, Patrick! I love this! Such a thoughtful thing to do 🙂

cashmpe
    Participant

Thank you Andrew. I need to find a better way to record. I just used my iPhone and then blended the songs together with Audacity software. When I listen to your lessons they are very clear. And when Evan plays it sounds really awesome.

Heard you had some severe weather go through Atlanta. Hope all is well with your family and friends.

dirk55
    Participant

Hi Mr. Cashmpe (Patrick?), first to let you know, how I love what you created with your Ukelele children songs vid. IK can imagine how you feel to get grandfather first time. I am a big big fan of your intro song “Into the maze” a composition written by Andrew. I play it often myself, as good as I can. 🙂 Concerning recording stuff I maybe can help a bit how to record and mix simply with Audacity software. If you like some tricks with that, Andrew for sure can send you my priveate Email adress, so you can mail me. I then can send you some sampeles with some simple ads to your own recording, which allready sounds so sweet allready in combimation with the movie clip. Anyway, congrats with all of this! greetings, Dirk.

cashmpe
    Participant

Hello Dirk: Thank you for the kind words. I did my best with the audacity software to combine the songs into one track. I confess I also used it to fix some places where my rhythm was a little slow. But I do wish there was a way to remove some of the “white noise” I hear when I play it back. I’m sure it came from my iphone recording but couldn’t figure out how to eliminate it with the software. I would definitely be interested in how to improve recordings and other tricks you’ve learned with the software. I’m sure most of the problem stems from still trying to improve my skills, but I’m also using a very inexpensive concert Uke with no pickup. Strings could probably use replacing also, as I’ve recently noticed some small cuts in the strings near some of the frets.

Thanks again…..Pat (or Patrick)

dirk55
    Participant

Hi Patrick,

I use other software in my studio myself, but i know audacity well. I use it to extract certain file types (MOGG files). In your recording, indeed a lot of background noise, and cannot be filtered away without drastically changing the color and dynamics of the uke. A few tips for your next project: audacity does have some effects on board that are easy to apply. 1: Always use the compressor to curb the peaks in volume. 2: You can filter out a lot of shrill sounds with the equalizer. 3: A nice room reverb works wonders. (less is more by the way.) And finally 4. audacity also has a limiter on board. You can also use them, perhaps first in the chain.
    By the way, these are standard tips and tricks, nothing special. There is even a lesson on recording techniques from Andrew on the RC101 website. It is based on the same principle. Oh, and if your strings are about to break, then it’s about time to replace them. haha.
    Greetz, Dirk

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by dirk55.
    cashmpe
    Participant

Thanks for the tips Dirk. I will test them out next time.

Regards…..Pay

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.