Forgetting Songs

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Forgetting Songs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    surferjay
    Participant

So, I’m not sure if it’s just me… But I seem to learn a song on here and then if I don’t play it for a a couple of months I just can’t remember how to play it properly. I can play bits of it but definitely not to performance level.

Just interested if anyone has the same issue and how u build up a song list that you remember while learning bee stuff…

Andrew
    Keymaster

I think it’s everyone. Most gigging musicians have a set list of at least 40 to 60 songs. And when you’re gigging every week, it stays fresh. But that’s the trick – which is to continually practice the song(s) to keep your chops up and your memory sharp.

robinboyd
    Participant

I keep around 10 in my head, but I forget most things I learn. Like @andrew said, the trick is to play them often. Take a few minutes a day to run through some stuff you want to remember, while spending most of your practice time learning something else.

ramiro
    Participant

You’re not alone. I try to keep a repertoire of songs by playing them regularly. This way I can more or less keep them in memory, but for a performance, I would need to practice them more often again. I started to do more ear training lately and find that it helps with playing songs that I haven’t in a while because it gets easier to “translate” sounds in my head to where to put my fingers on the fretboard, if that makes sense.

surferjay
    Participant

Thanks for all the input. I’ll try and practise stuff I want to keep in my mind. I thought I was losing it haha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.