General gear question

Home Page Forums Discuss Your Gear General gear question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ldarrow
    Participant

Is it typical for the strings on tendon to have more tension than concerts. I have two uses by same manufacturer with same strings. The concert is so much easier to press and get bar chords correctly. Wondering if this is typical or just happens to be like that for mine

ldarrow
    Participant

Tenor not tendon

robinboyd
    Participant

My tenor also has higher-tension strings. That’s one of the reasons I keep it tuned down to Bb tuning. I makes the string tension more like my concert.

justchris
    Participant

You can try different strings, that can make a difference, you might also check with a dealer to see if the saddle can be lowered.

ldarrow
    Participant

Thank you @robinboyd and @justchris. I have only just started with ukulele about 6 months ago, so don’t know about this alternate tuning, but will look it up. Also have not yet mustered the courage to change strings. I fear after removing I will not be able to get the new ones on. I know it is inevitable and something I need to learn. Is there a specific brand/type that you know that is low tension?

robinboyd
    Participant

I know there is a difference between strings that FEEL low tension and strings that actually are low tension. I don’t know about strings that actually are low tension, but Aquila Reds feel low tension to me.

As for the tuning, just tune your strings to F Bb D G instead of G C E A. You can always change back if you don’t like it. All chord shapes are the same.

recdog
    Participant

String tensions definitely vary. I am very particular about getting my tenors action set up the way I like. Sometimes I will do it myself and sometimes I will have a professional do it. I almost always lower both the nut slots and saddle. This helps even high tension strings be easily playable. I like the nut slots lowered so that when the third fret is depressed there is just a VERY tiny space above the first fret and the saddle lowed so there is about 2.7mm above the 12th fret to the bottom of the strings.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.