Georgia on My Mind

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Georgia on My Mind

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    willymac
    Participant

Here’s t he song I’ve been working on for quite a while now. I still have a long way to go. My goal is to do my final attempt at a video of it in late March, for now here’s where I’m at with learning it. I repeated two sections of it because of disasterist mistakes.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Well played, Brian! This song has so much emotion and I think that’s the hardest part about learning it. You did it justice! Excited to hear where you’re at at the end of the month πŸ™‚

nthibode

Awesome work, Brian! I’ve been learning this one for a long time too — such a fun one to play. I’ll be happy when it shows up on a Monthly Challenge πŸ˜‰

willymac
    Participant

@Andrew, Thanks so much for the encouragement. Adding emotion to songs is one of my greatest challenges. As a bass player the conductor always tells us where to put the emotion. On the ukulele there’s no one with a baton telling you when and where to add dynamics and emotions. I miss the baton person (don’t tell them I said that)) πŸ™‚ So I struggle with that on the ukulele. But, I’ll tell you a secret, I haven’t consciously put any emotions and dynamics into the song yet, so since it’s there, I must be doing it unconsciously and that takes a lot of pressure off me. Woo hoo! πŸ™‚ Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

willymac
    Participant

@Nathalie, Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I can’t wait to hear your take on this song. You always do such a great job. I’m also hoping that they’ll do sheet music for Evan’s take on Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies. I’d love to be able to play that next Christmas, but that song is so far above me, I’ll probably need 9 months plus to be able to do a slow version of it. But that’d be soooooooo cool.

nthibode

Thanks for the kind words, @willymac! I recorded it back in January — just waiting for that challenge so I can click copy/paste πŸ™‚

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies by Evan would be lovely!! I agree, Evan’s arrangements take months to learn well.. But they make me feel like my fingers are dancing with the ukulele. Love them!

It’s funny to hear your story about the conductor — you don’t know what you got ’til it’s gone.

Cheers,
    ~Nathalie

willymac
    Participant

@Nathalie, Wow! That was amazing. I really felt that. Thank you. Are you just naturally good at this or did you have formal training…or both?

nthibode

Aw thanks, Brian. The closest thing to ‘formal training’ was listening to my sister play the piano while growing up (so a lot of metronomes, scales, and melodies!). Been playing the ukulele for 4 years now; I think I just have a strong work ethic and attention to detail. It’s been a great hobby!

simonalexander
    Participant

thank you Willie and Nathalie. I really enjoyed both of those so much.
    I remember attempting a finger-style version of Georgia on guitar many years … ago and I failed miserably and haven’t been able to look it in the face since.#
    But you’ve both really inspired me. Maybe it’s time I gave it another go.
    Thank you both.

nthibode

My pleasure, @simonalexander! It’s definitely worth giving it a try. Have fun!

willymac
    Participant

@simonalexander it’s really a fun song to learn to play. For me at least, there were a lot of “oh, that’s how you do that” moments in learning that song. You should definitely give it a go. I look forward to hearing your take.

willymac
    Participant

@Andre, Here’s my most recent attempt at Georgia on My Mind. Still struggling with sections, but it’s a little better than my earlier version. I’ll keep practicing. But, for now, it’s onto the April Challenge. Woo hoo! I can’t wait. Thanks.

willymac
    Participant

@Andrew sorry about messing up your name in the previous post. My fingers can’t work the telephone keyboards. I think it’s a generational thing.

Andrew
    Keymaster

No worries, Brian! This take is much more fluid! Tells me the practice and effort is paying off πŸ™‚

willymac
    Participant

@Andrew, Thanks. This song has really been a journey for me (3 months so far) and it’s not over yet. I still need another month to work it out, but I’m making progress and I’m loving every minute of it. This journey almost gives me the confidence of trying to learn the Beauty and the Beast chord melody for the April challenge…almost. πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.