Going over old stuff

Home Page Forums Uke Talk Going over old stuff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

I’ve got a bit of free time today so I’m going over some old uke stuff that I never got around to learning properly.

Soon after I started learning the uke, I found a Skype teacher. In many ways, he was very good and he certainly gave me something to aspire to, but the concepts and techniques that he tried to teach me were so far beyond my level that I just got discouraged.

Anyway, I still have a couple of his tabs lying around and I thought I’d give them another shot. They are probably appropriate for my level now. One of the first chords was labelled as Db69/Ab. You play it 1566. It’s a hell of a stretch for me, even now. Imagine what it would have been like to someone that had only been playing for a few months and still struggled to maintain an island strum while transitioning between C, F, and G. No wonder I got discouraged!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yikes! I’d play 6566.

I once watched a video lesson from Joe Pass and he said he only plays chords that are easy to fret/transition too. Really interesting to hear that from him.

robinboyd
    Participant

The transition is actually 6566 to 1566. The 1566 is just to add colour. I was thinking about just playing 6566, but I want to stretch myself (in this case, literally), so I’m still going to give it a go.

becky7777
    Participant

LOL! I just tried it… I can reach that just barely on the tt, and not within a reasonable amount of time. No matter how far my fingers can fan out, right now. I’m using that more commonly used one for stretch at the moment. That 1346 shape. Sounds similar to yours because of 1 and 6. No idea what it’s name is. That’s still a challenge to get to in time for me at the first fret on my uke. Let alone your chord. 😁 (I even have trouble on soprano with yours, lol.)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by becky7777.
    lisadmh
    Participant

Lolol. 1566? That’s a big fat no for my fingers. I can manage the 15 but I have no fingers left for the 66. Good luck!

becky7777
    Participant

You guys think I should record my challenge song for August, even though it’s unofficial?

Since this month is physically not too possible for me, and I was depressed as all get out yesterday, I decided to find the song Angela (The song they used for Taxi, the tv show) and see if I could figure it out on uke. (That makes absolutely no sense, but focused on it, it made me feel better while I was working on it. I guess jamming smooth jazz on uke makes me feel better when I’m really sad lol.)

Anyway, no one I could find on youtube made a ukulele arrangement for it. My tentative plan this month is to smooth out what I have, and write down the tabs for it as my unofficial ‘challenge’ for September. I will need help fixing the tabs btw if anyone is working on that skill. Lol.

For whatever reason, I managed to get an A,B,(A) type thing yesterday.

I played what I could remember of it for my friend this morning and apparently both the A and B melody are recognizable enough he sang along with it. That’s something at least.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.