Guitarlele for Kanni and Lisa

Home Page Forums Showcase Your Playing Guitarlele for Kanni and Lisa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

Kanni and Lisa asked for a video of the guitarlele in action. This is the only one I have at this point. I was playing around with the lower strings to get this riff.

I bought the guitarlele on a whim because it was cheap second-hand on Gumtree. It’s got a few cracks in it (as disclosed by the seller), but they don’t affect the playing and it’s really pretty, so I’m happy with the purchase.

lisadmh
    Participant

That’s very cool Robin. How do you know what to do with the two extra strings? Can you figure out how to play RC101 songs on it? Are the strings closer together? I think they are from when I see them in store. Does that mess you up?

robinboyd
    Participant

Wow, those are good questions. I’ll try to answer them in order.

1/2) Well, the extra strings are tuned A and D, with the top four strings the same as a low G uke. There is no reason why you couldn’t just ignore the bottom strings and play uke songs on it. Otherwise, even though it is in a different key to a guitar, the strings are the same relative to each other, so you can just play guitar stuff on it if you don’t mind it being in a different key. In the case of the vid, I took a guitar tab but kept it in the original key so I had to move it about to different strings, etc. That took a bit of work. I think this was the original. https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/rammstein/seemann_chords_1974365

3/4) Yes, they are closer together, and yes, that messes me up heaps!

kanae926
    Participant

That is really cool and I like the sound! That’s a good impulse purchase if you got a great deal. Terry over at Uke Like the Pros makes tutorials specifically for the guitarlele. You should check him out.

kanae926
    Participant

Also…is that German you’re singing in?! Even cooler!

I’d be happy if I could play and sing in English. 😂 I don’t have that coordination.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks for the link. That’s awesome! I’ve kind of just been making it up as I go along up to this point.

Yeah, that’s German. I studied German up to 2nd-year university but I don’t remember a whole lot now. Just enough to sing songs, really. Otherwise, I only speak English and Japanese.

kanae926
    Participant

AND JAPANESE?! “Only” speaking English and Japanese is already more than most. 😅 You’re getting more impressive by the minute. lol

robinboyd
    Participant

It’s my job! I’m a J-E translator/interpreter/Japanese-speaking tour guide. It keeps me on my toes. Yesterday I interpreted for a company that delivered parts to a Japanese fishing boat (open-water transfer), and today, I’m translating updates to a Japanese company’s website.

becky7777
    Participant

Wow! Nice Robin! I agree with Kanae 100% I can’t sing along in English to most songs let alone German.

Beautiful guilele! Is the abalone inlay on the 12th fret a picture? It sounds great though. Never did ask what brand it was.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks Becky.

It’s a Bruce Wei Arts instrument. He makes them in Vietnam and sells them on Ebay. They have mixed reviews online, but like I said, I got this ultra cheap, so I didn’t expect perfection.

The 12th fret is an abstract design, not a picture. The inlay work is certainly pretty though. Here is what the back looks like.

kanae926
    Participant

So pretty! Can you show a close up of the front inlay?

robinboyd
    Participant

Is this one okay? I’m just using photos that I took a while ago.

kanae926
    Participant

Wow, that is a nice looking instrument! It looks kinda dry…you might want to hydrate the surface with some uke conditioner. Gotta take care of that beauty.

Katie (One Music School) recommends Music Nomad products.

robinboyd
    Participant

The body isn’t too bad but the bridge and fretboard are dry. I’m going to stick some lemon oil on them when I change the strings, but I have to order strings first.

kanae926
    Participant

Careful with lemon oil…it’s said it has a drying effect (despite its purpose because of the acidity).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.