Hammer on pull off decisions

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Hammer on pull off decisions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

How does one decide if a pull off our hammer on should be put in a song? I’m working on Tonight You Belong to Me. It has hammer ons followed by the open string plucked and I’m wondering why hammer on at all when pluck sounds good and is easy, and if there IS a hammer on, why not follow up with a pull off when the note is right?

How does one male these decisions and does it matter?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you!

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, I didn’t get that far yet because it looks like the hammer on is just in the solo part. So I tried it both ways. I find it much easier to accomplish the eighth note rhythm by doing the hammer on. Further more looks like you could do the hammer on twice in bar 31….pluck open “E”, hammer 3rd fret on “E” then pluck open “A”, hammer 2nd fret of “A” then pluck open “A”. You could also do a pull off but the note would not ring out as strong as plucking it. I would try it both ways playing measures 29 through 32 and see which sounds better to you.

robinboyd
    Participant

Well, I think it’s just a matter of what feels right to the arranger and player. FWIW, I tend to add a whole bunch of pull-offs to Matt’s and Katie’s arrangements but not to Andrew’s.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hmm. I’m such a play by the rules person that I do exactly what I’m told to do, but I’m left wondering why when it doesn’t feel right. The only time I really change tabs I’d when I have to dumb it down because I’m not good enough.

It’s so tempting to dumb down my weak hammer ons and my tinny pull offs, but I need to push through them and get better. Maybe I’ll even add some and really force it.

Thanks guys.

becky7777
    Participant

I add things or tweak the song to how I like it keeping it as true to written and the original song as possible.

robin- Even Andrew’s arrangements aren’t safe lol! 6 weeks playing uke and I changed that gypsy woman song to add in fancier bits from the original lol. 2 weeks playing uke and I made 3 zombie tracks to add to the walking dead theme that never made it onto the performance track in October because I had no idea how to add them at the time haha! 😁 (at least one will make it’s debut this coming October, because they actually came out really good imo and I had a blast creating them, I pull off a good zombie voice with help from the special effects in the DAWs and i’m not ashamed to say it.😁)

robinboyd
    Participant

Oh yeah, from memory, the Walking Dead could have had a pull off in there. I think I went according to the instructions for that one, but I remember thinking I’d like to just play a pull-off, especially given how similar it is to the Stranger Things Theme, which does have a pull-off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.