Harmonics

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    robinboyd
    Participant

Hi Drew,

I’ve started looking at the harmonics course, but I can’t seem to find what I’m interested in, which is an explanation of why harmonics work. I understand that the 12th fret is an octave higher than the open string, and that something weird happens with the vibration, but can you go into why that is in a bit more detail than “something weird”? Also, what is special about the 5th and 7th frets?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hey Robin, that’s lightly covered in the course overview. The thing is, it becomes extremely complex if you want the physics answer. There are some videos out there on this:

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks 🙂

lhamilton
    Participant

One interesting thing I discovered while trying out the artificial harmonics on my soprano uke was that the harmonics work fine even when you don’t have the all frets that you do on a tenor — you just move up the string to where the 15 fret would be if it were there.

Linda

robinboyd
    Participant

Yep. Even before the course, I had a song where I played an artificial harmonic in the middle of the sound hole on my concert (where the 20th fret would be).

lakeside339
    Participant

Started the harmonics course. When playing all 4 strings (strum), as you lift the left hand finger off, is it more of a roll off? I.e does it come off the 4th string incrementally sooner than the 3rd string etc., all the way down to the 1st? Or do you lift the whole finger at once. It look like Andrew does the former (roll). I am trying both and cannot really tell as I am not yet consistent enough in getting the to ring every time.

Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s a roll off. Try that and if you still have trouble, post a video and I’d be happy to take a look and make sure form is correct.

smokealot
    Participant

Hi. I made a short video because i get an unwanted sound when i play a harmonic on the c string. It is kind of a high ringing sound.
    The sound quality is not too good but one can hear it. I wonder what the reason could be.

johnnyrotten

Hi Andrew. Quick question on tapped harmonics. When you tap, do you tap hard enough to have the string come in contact with the fret wire, or are you just tapping the string itself (as in plucked harmonics)?

Thanks!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@smokealot – Sorry, I must have missed this video. Everything sounds normal 🙂

@johnnyrotten
    – Yes, you will make contact with the metal fret. The key thing is the quickness and preciseness of the tap. It should be dead on and happen within half a second.

johnnyrotten

Awesome – thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.