Hello also from Atlanta

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Hello also from Atlanta

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jordan
    Participant

Greetings, ukommunity! I’ve been playing for a year now and looking to build some skills and continue to have fun. Started with a soprano pineapple uke that’s tiny and lots of fun, and just got a Ohana TK-50ME tenor that is beautiful. I’m into classic rock, 90s alt rock, and jazzy standards. Lately I’ve been having fun with some Randy Newman tunes – You’ve Got a Friend in Me, and Blue Shadows (from Three Amigos). And Georgia on My Mind, Don’t Get Around Much Anymore…. even some classic Weird Al “love” songs – One More Minute, and You Don’t Love Me Anymore.

dangar

Howdy, fellow “ukie” from Hot-lanta!
    I love your music “playlist.” All of it. I’m a big fan of Weird Al Yankovic. I’ve only been playing ukulele for about 2 weeks, but I’ve played guitar for 6 years. I play a great jazzy chord melody version of Hoagy Charmichael’s “Georgia on my Mind” (Rick Seversen arrangement). And a nice version of “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” (Go Bravos!)
    But just learned Take Me Out… on the ukulele last 2 days. It’s pretty easy.
    I am really enjoying this site to supercharge my new ukulele journey. Keep in touch.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Welcome, Jordan! Guess this makes 3 of us in Hotlanta! 🙂

dangar

Andrew, so you’re also in Atlanta?
    Is there any way we can have a (brief) private chat, not on forum?

jordan
    Participant

Hey Dangar! I’ve got a great uke arrangement for GA On My Mind from James Hill’s Duets for One book. Highly recommend- there’s some great other tunes there Summertime, Don’t Get Around Much Anymore, L-O-V-E… hard to master but fun to try!

dangar

Yes, I’m a big James Hill fan. I got his Ukulele-X lessons for percussion, in particular “Billie Jean.” Wow. (I’m actually making some progress on that, lol. At bit.)

I play a wonderful jazz chord melody arrangement of Georgia On My Mind (our state song, of course) arr. by Rich Seversen. I got that one, but playing it on uke is essential. Thanks for pointing the way for me.

dangar

Jordan, thanks again for your tip. I ordered the James Hill book Duets for One. It arrived at my doorstep today, a Valentine’s Day gift.
    I love it. I gave a listen to the audio performances and have begun work on Hill’s arrangement of Georgia On My Mind. It is very satisfying, but quite a bit easier (for me) than Evan’s sensational arrangement where he emulates the legendary Ray Charles performance.
    So, my plan is to learn the James Hill arrangement first, then tackle Evan’s arrangement when my chops improve.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by dangar.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.