Hello from Philadelphia!

Home Page Forums Introduce Yourself Hello from Philadelphia!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shann0potato
    Participant

Hi everyone!

My name is Shannon, and I recently moved from NYC to Philadelphia. I’m working from home now, and at long last have a little spare time on my hands, so I’m hoping to use some of that to develop my ukulele skills.

I’ve been playing the ukulele on-and-off for about a year or so now, but I’ve hit a plateau, much like the introduction videos on this site have mentioned. I can play most chords pretty well, but I pretty much stick to one strumming pattern and a few songs that I’ve already memorized and can sing along with. Over time, it’s grown a little dull and unimpressive. But I know this instrument has a lot more to offer if I can just challenge myself and learn new techniques.

I’m excited to get started and look forward to getting to know all of you, too!

Some more things about me: I work in oncology research, I perform improv/sketch/character comedy, and I’ve been volunteering for the Philadelphia folk festival for nearly a decade. I love music and am an avid concert-goer, but I’ve never developed much skill playing myself – I’m hoping I can change that here.

Thanks all for having me!

-Shannon

Andrew
    Keymaster

Ohh, you’re gonna love our new course which is all about jazzing up your strumming. AND the course introduces a new teacher who lives in Philly 🙂 Should be out end of next month.

And, welcome Shannon! Start here and let me know if you need help or have ?’s. Always happy to help.

shann0potato
    Participant

Sounds awesome! Thank you, Andrew! Impressive program you’ve got here. I look forward to seeing more!

nthibode

Welcome Shannon! It was the same for me — I turned to fingerstyle arrangements to get beyond the chords and strumming and continue to challenge myself. This site has so much to offer. Have fun and make sure you try out the on-screen tab player — it’s a great practicing tool!

shann0potato
    Participant

Thank you for the warm welcome! I’m only a day in, but already the on-screen tab player has been an amazing feature!

mfaske
    Participant

Welcome Shannon!

I discovered this site only a couple of months ago, and I can’t tell you how much it’s helped me already. Andrew, Matt and Stephen so attentive and helpful it’s unbelievable. Be sure to jump in the monthly member challenges. They’re a lot of fun and a great way to push your skills… not to mention the chance to win something really awesome!

Matt

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.