Help: fingering for the B chord in People Are Strange

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Help: fingering for the B chord in People Are Strange

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

Drew, please watch this video. Having trouble with the fingering. I seem to get a more consistent clean sound when I don’t fret. Here are both methods. Should I devote more time to the fretting method? Please look and see if my left hand is in the correct position. My wrist rotation seems to be limited.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Try this Rickey: get rid of the 4th string and use the index as partial barre on strings one and two and the middle finger for string 3. That should make it easier. Let me know how that goes.

rickeymike
    Participant

please ignore the first 19 seconds unless you want a laugh.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hey Rickey. That is a tough chord to get your fingers around. I’m making progress, but I still buzz it sometimes.

Have you tried building it a string at a time? My video shows doing 2 fingers, then 3, then adding the 4th. It might take many practices to get it clean(ish). This might be useless, just a thought!

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, I try setting all three fingers, release and repeat. but I haven’t tried playing one finger at a time, then 2, then 3. I’ll give it a try. Only fretting the 3 strings as Andrew said, produces the same sound and is much easier to repeat successfully but then I have a problem with scraping the G string for the up strum…….such a dilemma on the first day of learning. ha.

lisadmh
    Participant

@Andrew. On this chord and other 4-string chords in the same song, when I come up to staccato it, I buzz. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Rickey. 🙂 I’m working on that pesky G string too. It didn’t sound much when I clipped it on Ain’t no Sunshine, on high G, but when you clip it on a low G, boom!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rickey, check this out:

Lisa, not sure can you post video?

lisadmh
    Participant

Hahaha. First time ever I’ve gotten exactly what I wanted in the first take. But it’s buzz.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Check this out, Lisa:

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. Yes, you seem to be right. I’ll see what I can do about it. Tricky.

rickeymike
    Participant

Andrew, my first instinct was to index finger the fret parallel to the fret bar. I think that made it more difficult to keep the middle finger from touching the E string. I’ve produced a clean strum much more often once I moves my left hand to fret at an angle with my index.

Also Robin offered advice to fret the entire 2nd fret with the index. That seems to work some extent also. Of course I have to practice more on this chord to find that sweet left fingering placement.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Awesome to hear you are making progress! 🙂

rickeymike
    Participant

Andrew, Lisa, et al I’ve just started in earnest with the first 3 bars of Chorus 1. I am still practicing all the different forms that you mentioned. Would it be true that if you don’t fret the 4th string, it wouldn’t matter that much because of the staccato technique for the B chord?

rickeymike
    Participant

Also, I was trying to see the length of your left hand fingernails. Looks shorter than mine. Does a cut close nail allow you to more easily fret in more finger-vertical position? Like what you saw with my middle finger not coming down vertically thus brushing the other string.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’d recommend to omit string 4 for that section. Will make it much easier to play 🙂

Short nails is always best!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.