Help Us Plan the Next 6 Months of Ukulele Lessons!

Home Page Forums Rock Class 101 Ukulele Lessons Help Us Plan the Next 6 Months of Ukulele Lessons!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    kmelton
    Participant

First of, congrats on the endorsement Andrew! Well deserved!

In addition to the outlined curriculum (which sounds great) I’d like to keep learning more contemporary songs. While I’m still working my way up there, your interpretations on songs like Havana and Thinking Out Loud sound amazing on the ukulele, and I’d like more of that down the road. More Spanish style lessons would be great too.

I know its been discussed in the lightening round videos, but I think it would be beneficial to have a lesson solely dedicated to instrument maintenance (restringing, fret board care, etc). Ignore this if its already posted on the website and I just missed it, but it would be nice to have this as a reference.

Thanks again for everything you do. Looking forward to the next six months!

Kevin

mheiden
    Participant

I’m fairly new to Rock Class 101….just joining in early June. I’ve been playing now for about 3 months. So there is ALOT for me in the current site. I’ve been through the beginners class and am participating in the challenges. I’ve memorized 5 songs just from this alone.

*I’m not looking to learn the UBass- at least for now
    *I do have a Low G ukulele, so I’m looking forward to lessons for that
    *I’ve found that I really like fingerpicking
    *interest in more blues and jazz songs (low G will be good for jazz)
    *I absolutely want to learn Standard Notation–

I love this site and your tutorials…and posting videos for critique. It provides something to work towards. I feel I’ve improved already.

One thing that bothers me (and maybe the standard notation will help). I feel like I’m learning the songs…and by practicing them, I’m memorizing them. I love that, but in some cases, I don’t feel I know what I’m playing. I’m not memorizing what chords….and with the various voicings, I’m definitely not remembering them all.

My goal is to feel more musical and understand what I’m doing as well as learning and playing songs. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks Andrew-
    Maureen

rickeymike
    Participant

– totally like the idea of more beginner arrangements.

-Don’t know what ‘low G’ is. How about an INTRO to Low G….What is it? and Why should I have one?

-No interest in U Bass. Again don’t know what it is.

-What about sending a “feeler” out for a weekend seminar hosted by Andrew?

– YES to standard notation course.

marni11

I love everything on here! Andrew, do you by any chance have a guitar course that I don’t know about? I personally don’t play the guitar myself, but I know someone that is learning how.
    I have no use for the U Bass lessons, but if other people do, then go for it!
    I love everything else! I thought it would be neat if you did Duets with the guitar and ukulele though!!

docuke

HI Thanks for a great learning resource. Just bought a Kanile’a ukulele and i love the sound.
    I am not great at music theory but improving. There is a song by Paul Mccartney ‘My Valentine’ that I am working out but if you have any good tips on converting guitar solos into uke solos without the painstaking single note by note way that would help me a lot And any general advice on how to hear a song and work out for the uke. I have access to tab sites etc but I would like to know more…

Gaby
    Participant

Just real quick-

– i will not get a u-bass in the near future.

– i honestly thought, that you could play almost any Song with either a high g or a low g and that you just had to buy some low g strings to turn your Ukulele into a low g one.. But now it seems as though its a whole different Instrument..? Well my plan is to get me some low g strings just to try it, so i sure would like some low g lessons and learn something more about that 🙂

– i really would love to be able to say that i already completed several of your courses, and that i improved imensly after that. But honestly, as soon as i have got the time to play, i mostly just pick a song to learn. which is great and so much fun! But i really would like to improve my skills, so i will try to look info those lessons as well!

– i love that all the Songs/melodies i learn from here are playable without singing! So if you want some suggestions on that part, i’d like something from Disney, but i also enjoyed the classical pieces so far, like ode to joy or für Elise. Im always up for something like that.

So i am exited for what is to come in the next months! I have not been on here for very long (and didnt have as much time for my Ukulele the last few Weeks as i would have liked) but i really enjoy this site, the Songs, the learning, the community and so on. Keep up the good work, its highly appreciated 🙂

kimmie6
    Participant

Hi
    A few more thoughts…I have done many of the lessons in the courses but I often run into snags so maybe you can offer some trouble shooting pointers? For example, lots of time when I hammer on, I get no sound or its only half the volume…why? How do I fix it? Ditto on slides. Also, you have a course on strumming but as I get better and try your upper level songs, I notice that you do a rolling kind of strum…how do you do that? So in essence, you could have a lesson or two on techniques and the pitfalls and ways to get better sound (you make everything look so easy but it isn’t really!!!). Just like you have levels in the songs, maybe there is more advanced strumming techniques and other uke techniques beyond the basics? The exercises in the beginner class were good foundations but somehow when I try the same thing in the songs, it doesn’t work! Or maybe it is just me!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi guys! Thanks so much for ALL the Feedback! I truly appreciate it! I have read every comment as they came in and I will be re-reading and taking notes and posting some ideas for discussion on this post in the near future. 🙂

—-

Exciting news: Today we added a fantastic functionality feature to the site: My Favorites! In essence, you can now “bookmark” your favorite lessons, which will then be displayed on a master list.

Take a look at the video on this page, for a complete rundown on how this feature works.

rickeymike
    Participant

Just used the My Favorites. I’ve been wishing for this for a long time. Thanks, Andrew………no more searching every time I want to replay a lesson.

marni11

Hi! I love the “My Favorites” idea! I just have 1 problem. I can’t add any songs to my collection. I click on any song lesson on here, and on the right hand side it just says, “My Favorites”. I doesn’t say Add to my collection, or remove. So right now I can’t add anything. It looks like it worked fine with Rickey though, so I don’t know what’s going on.
    Thanks! Just letting you know.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Glad you enjoy it Rickey!

Marni, can you log out and re-log in. Let me know if that fixes it. If not, can you send a screen shot to me: [email protected].

marni11

Okay! I sent you a screen shot! I already logged out and logged back in again btw.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Okay, so that just happened to me too! Looks like we may have a bug, I’ll report it to the developer. In the meantime, hit refresh on that page until you see both options.

marni11

Okay! I’ll try that. Thanks!

marni11

Well I refreshed it 11 times and it didn’t seem to work. How many times do you have to re-load the page?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.